Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Maxgas #659447 Mon Jun 27 2016 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Maxgas
A couple of comments on the show. This is my 4 CTO and I can honestly say it was one of the smoothest of all. I just want to reiterate how great it is that ANDY has taken the show over. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable about our hobby and all facets that are related. This can only continue to improve our CTO experience. One area that needs to be focused on is bringing a top notch Auction to the show. In my opinion the last couple have been a little less then desirable. Other then that make plans to attend one of the best shows out there. See you on the Road.

I've known Rory for a long time and all I can say is that he is a gentleman and gives his all to present a quality auction. Your comments about the auction are miss placed because it is very obvious you know nothing about what you are saying! He is given what he is given and has to deal with it. As for comments about the old and gone away Dan Mathews auctions he had to deal with the same situation, " the stuff comes in at the last minute". If you didn't like the auction, HEY you freaking do it. Nuff said!

Have gas all the time
Oilcanman87 #659453 Mon Jun 27 2016 05:35 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Here's the long and short of it. No one is questioning Rory's integrity. I agree the auction was very poor. Maxgas has a right to his opinion and I totally agree. Hasn't been good since Dan Matthews left. If you can't get good consignments, don't bother. Morphy's is a good example. The fact is shows have been going down hill for a long time. Too expensive - hotels, gas, taking time off from work, etc. After 30-50 years of everybody collecting this stuff, anything good is in somebody's house. The only way you're going to get it is if they die and it goes to auction or you go to their home and buy it directly from them. Either way, you're going to pay big time. It's not like it used to be 25 years ago where you hit the flea markets and got good stuff reasonable. You don't even find anything on eBay anymore that's any good. CTO show has not been well run for a long time. Stopped going 6 years ago. Wasn't worth the investment. Stopped going to Iowa Gas 15 years ago. Wasn't worth the $800 investment. I went to these shows to fill the shelves. Granted, I'm 80% cans, so I'm somewhat limited. It's got to be worth my while. It's nice to talk to the people, but not the primary reason I went.

Oilcanman87 #659455 Mon Jun 27 2016 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My intent is not to take anything away from this great thread, I only want to support Rory and what he is trying to do. And again, Nuff said.

Have gas all the time
Oilcanman87 #659456 Mon Jun 27 2016 06:00 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Yeah, good for you. As for old and gone away Dan Matthews auctions, he didn't go away. He moved up.

Oilcanman87 #659475 Mon Jun 27 2016 08:11 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I really appreciate everyone's support of me as the new show promoter. I hope to continue the excellent tradition of the show.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support. I look forward to a great show in 2017.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Always looking for:
Early Oil and Auto Cans, Kenyon Tire Signs or Displays, Stutz Motor Car Company Items.

Maxgas #659485 Tue Jun 28 2016 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Maxgas
A couple of comments on the show. This is my 4 CTO and I can honestly say it was one of the smoothest of all. I just want to reiterate how great it is that ANDY has taken the show over. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable about our hobby and all facets that are related. This can only continue to improve our CTO experience. One area that needs to be focused on is bringing a top notch Auction to the show. In my opinion the last couple have been a little less then desirable. Other then that make plans to attend one of the best shows out there. See you on the Road.

...agreed - I've been to at least eight CTO's, and this auction had the fewest offerings of any...the auctioneer has an entire year to get enough quality pieces for a choice venue as this...if he/she cannot supply enough items, maybe they're spread too thin...

...there was one guy in the room-to-room - I swear, it looked like he had squeezed more in his hotel room, than was in that auction - and it was good stuff, too...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Oilcanman87 #659551 Tue Jun 28 2016 06:32 PM
C
C
Quote:
...there was one guy in the room-to-room - I swear, it looked like he had squeezed more in his hotel room, than was in that auction - and it was good stuff, too...

I let out an audible noise when I looked in there. Tried to post a pic but sometimes posting a pic in a forum is like trying to launch the space shuttle....

Oilcanman87 #659581 Wed Jun 29 2016 06:57 AM
S
S
After seeing all the comments, I have to ask . You see all the great pictures of some really nice advertising, thanks who post these. The big question becomes we see two major shows, where does all this great items go to be sold the rest of year. I agree nothing becomes available on eBay any more and going to shops you just shake your head and drive away. Knowing a lot of money is invested where are the sellers, selling their items. You may see an item on the pictures but you have know idea how to contact anyone or what the price may be, what is the big secret. Dealers should have a big poster of how to contact them.

Oilcanman87 #659587 Wed Jun 29 2016 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dealers use other shows & swap meets, dealers have websites, dealers have individual customers, dealers use craigslist, dealers use facebook (a lot).

Ways of buying from vendors:
- Go to the show(s)
- Shop on OldGas
- Shop on Facebook
- Save dealer websites to favorites

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Oilcanman87 #659595 Wed Jun 29 2016 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are at a show and you take the time to talk and meet people, you can find out where the stuff comes from where it is going etc. All it takes is a little effort to have all questions answered.
I go to every show, auction, flea market, yard sale, Internet , homes etc. , that I can. I also talk way too much ! I find it is easy to find things, the hard part is to afford things. There are always bargains to be found if you put out the effort.

Oilcanman87 #659601 Wed Jun 29 2016 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Henry as always thanks for the pictures and commentary.
Looks like it was a great show.

Oilcanman87 #659604 Wed Jun 29 2016 12:01 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Fred you follow Henry around for a year I think you would figure it out. Thanks guys for making the effort to take and post pics.
I can only make local shows due to time and funds,maybe at some point I'll get freed up.

Not a Pierce item in the pics,but know you guys had to miss at least one.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Oilcanman87 #659847 Sat Jul 02 2016 03:33 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink On page 1 of the pictures from Columbus, the 20th picture, can someone give me any information on the 42" Round Buick Service Sign? Red/White/Blue Valve in Head. Thank you. Info in my profile. smile Ed.

Oilcanman87 #660952 Sat Jul 16 2016 11:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been going to Columbus for 20+ years. 1100 miles, one way. I have always done real good, buying and selling. I sell quality items, and buy quality items. Hard to steal stuff at a swap meet. You have to pay the price, or go home empty. No use crying about high prices, and the way shows are run. Just make the best of it and life goes on. It's a rich mans hobby, if you want to buy items that cost 20k to 150k. Buy what you can afford, and buy high grade. 20 years from now you'll be playing with the big boys! Or, at least you'll have a nice collection. There's a old saying "If You Don't Have A Horse In The Race, don't bitch About How The Race Is run".

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved