Print Thread
#665977 Sun Sep 11 2016 12:15 PM
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I just picked up my first Bennett 646 pump that has been cut down. I was interested in why these pumps were cut down. Did the factory do this? How was the inner workings still able to fit. wouldn't the electrical and gas pipe have to be cut and shortened also? Any info will be helpful in learning about the history of this pump. Thanks

Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
tbert1 #666003 Sun Sep 11 2016 04:49 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
You sure it's not a 700 series? Never hear of a 646 being cut down but certainly possible.

tbert1 #666015 Sun Sep 11 2016 06:12 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I had one before. I think it was done at the factory, but I'm not sure. None of the modifications looked like a shade tree mechanic did it. There was a ton of dead space in the 500s and 600s both above and below the pump and meter. They just shortened the frame, the pipe and electrical conduits, and there you go. They were almost the same height as the 700s, but the hinge locations were different as were the latches. The add glass was on top instead of bottom, and the hose outlet and nozzle receiver were also in the wrong spot compared to the 700 series. I think the mods would have been easy to do. This may have been a way to modernize the 600 series to the more fashionable 700s, even though they were mechanically identical. I also once heard a story about these being leftovers from before the war, and cut down to be made more fashionable after the war and used as a transition pump until the 700 was ready for production, but this story is unconfirmed.

tbert1 #666024 Sun Sep 11 2016 07:12 PM
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Here is a picture of the pump. Sorry for the bad picture. I'm still trying to figure out the resizr ap on my phone.

646 pic 034.JPG 646 pic 034.JPG
tbert1 #666330 Wed Sep 14 2016 04:36 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I also worked on one of these cut down Bennetts recently. I believe these were trade in towards the newer 700 series and the factory did the work to shorten them to resell as a lookalike of the short pumps. The amount of work necessary to cut down a pump hardly seems very profitable. As an example, the doors were not only cut off at the bottom,but cut across the window area with a piece sectioned out and the two pieces welded back together. This meant the inner window frames were also cut, sectioned and re welded. The side panels were easier, as they were cut off at the bottom. If you look at your panels you'll see that there is no lip at the bottoms of all four panels. That made it pretty easy to cave in the bottoms of the sides and doors.
When I find a picture I will post it of the frame and the cutting done.
As Mike said this was not something done out of someones garage.

ROD [Mich.]
tbert1 #666355 Wed Sep 14 2016 08:22 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Rod,

I cleaned out the literature from the Bennett Pump Co., in Muskegon, when they closed. I have no information that they ever offered a used/rebuilt pump (I do have information that Wayne offered the Model 80 in rebuilt condition).

I can give you the names and advertisements from very small companies that rebuilt pumps.

Right before WWII some companies offered a short pump. No pumps were offered for sale, nor were manufactured after around July 1942 when the government stopped production of just about everything. The only pumps that were offered for sale after that date were made before then, plus, you had to have a permit from the U.S. Government to purchase a gas pump.

Late 1945, the war ended, probably at the beginning of 1945 the pump company designers were busy designing the new (shorter) pumps that would be ready for sale around the beginning of 1947.

Bennett offered the new shorter pumps, but they still offered the tall pump. These were advertised that just in case your island had tall pump and you needed a new one you could buy a tall pump so they all looked alight.

By 1947 there were all kinds of pumps being traded in for the new shorter pumps. Plus, many of the returning GIs went in the service station business. Rebuilders purchased these used pumps.. In my files,I can't find it right now, but it is a post card from a rebuilder showing a tall Tokheim 39 converted to a short 39.

If a pump company rebuilt (shortened) these pump it would have been done with the same fine quality they put into their new pumps.

Probably shortened by a few returning GIs needing a job.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
tbert1 #666364 Thu Sep 15 2016 07:23 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I shouldn't have stated that the Bennett Co. actually did the shortening of the pump. On working with this pump I noted everything that was done to shorten it and concluded that it was some sort of factory job. There are several differences from the cut down 600 series pump and the regular 700 series pump. Most noticeable is the cut down pump still has the taller 600 series base.
Here is a picture of the one that I worked on.

bennett 06.jpg 2.jpg

ROD [Mich.]
tbert1 #666673 Mon Sep 19 2016 04:18 AM
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm not sure what is going on with my shortened pump. The doors have the larger opening for an ad glass but the computer is centered in the middle so there is no room for the ad glass to fit correctly on the top of bottom.

Mike

tbert1 #666990 Wed Sep 21 2016 06:44 PM
B
B
That is pretty interesting info about the Bennett pumps. I came across two 600 series pumps and was want to know more about them!

Thomas

tbert1 #667004 Wed Sep 21 2016 09:24 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved