Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Manny Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Good day all,
I am new to this collecting hobbie. I just had an impulse buy of a FINA gas sign. I don't know if I paid too much for this, or made out like a bandit!

This is a double sided sign, with a steel frame. One side of the sign opens up to gain access to all the electrical and bulbs. All electrical is working, the sign lights up great! I do need to redo some electrical to make it more safe. This sign is 6 feet tall and 5.5 feet wide.

The steel frame has been painted 2-3 times, you can tell by the paint peeling. What was the original colour? The actual fina sign on one side does have a hole that has been broken. Maybe 1-2 inch in diameter.

I am wondering if someone can tell me the age of the sign, I have an idea of when it was used/produced? Just need verifying.

Also I am in Canada, what is the value of this in Canadian dollars. Please let me know if that value you provide would be retail, being sold to a collector or to general public.

I am lookin for any help, advice, or any other info that you would be interested in providing.

Kind Regards,

image.jpg
FINA sign that I need help with.

Last edited by Manny; Mon Sep 19 2016 08:51 AM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What did you pay for it?

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
M
Manny Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I had a few items that I traded for the sign. In the end I am not sure if I came out ahead or not?

Is there anyway you could put a dollar value on it for me? If there is any other information that you would need, I will gladly provide it for you.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
it's from the mid 1960's there is the same sign here in belgium for sale the guy is asking 250 € but has offer to 400 €

the original color of the can was nothing, the can was made of stainless steel

http://www.2ememain.be/collections/marqu...-268948321.html

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looking at your sign I would say it's a later version as it's not an earlier bubble shaped one. Check on the frame for a tag. It may have a sign makers name to which you could search out to help date it.

Daryl
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Not sure about the Canadian value, but here in the southern states it would sell for $600-800 retail with the frame due to one side having damage. Figure about 1/2 that wholesale deal. So if you had about $400 in the stuff you traded you did good. If you had more then you might have traded even.

The frame is specific to FINA or related brands using the bowed triangle. Most are stainless steel so some polishing will bring it up to spec.

BTW, it is possible to repair the hole, but it will always show up when lit from behind that a repair was done.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
M
Manny Offline OP
OP Offline
M
There is a partial sticker on the side, but from what I can gather from the limited info on it, it was in regards to the electrical.

Are you saying that an earlier fina sign bowed out a bit from the frame? Mine is more flat, there is a raised ridge around the sign and fina lettering is also raised, but the sign and or lettering is not bowed or bubble shaped.

M
Manny Offline OP
OP Offline
M
In a round about way I would add the exchange rate to your valuation.

As for the frame, it has green, then looks like blue over top, then another paint of grey on top of the other two. You are saying none of the colours were original? The frame in my opinion is in great shape!

I did just notice that there are a few holes in the side of the sign that opens and closes, that line up with other holes in the main frame that hold and or secure the sign together, which the bolts are missing.

One more item that I noticed, and using pics as a reference to date it. On top of the sign there are two hinges that have been torched/cut that were supporting the sign to a pole, BUT also, there are two of the same hinges that have all been torched/cut only on one side, for a total of 4 supporting hinges to a pole. Which I have found pics dating a bit earlier. I could be wrong tho?

I have added a pic for an example that I came across for the supporting pole and hinges I am referring too.

You folks are fantastic on here! Your help and time is appreciate!

image.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved