Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
Sorry if this question has been addressed before. I tried a search but didn't see an answer.

I'm finally getting back to finishing my 966 and I'm to the point of installing the stainless trim around the large window and ad glass. Some of the trim I have only has a couple of the straight pin type clips remaining(the kind that push through the rubber and have small flat spring steel retainers on the back side). I'm looking to see if these are reproduced or if anyone has fabricated a workable substitute? Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Silicone works good.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By Ryan Underthun
Silicone works good.

A couple are a little bent, which is why the pins would hold them a little tighter and in shape. If I can't find replacements maybe I'll try the silicone with them weighted down until it dries.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can always use urethane. It's much more stronger and much more adhesive. Have to be careful using it...can be a real messy if not carefully applied.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
E
OP Offline
E
I still would like to find some metal pins as original. I may see if I can fabricate some. Kind of hard to weld, but maybe cut some small metal bases, drill a tiny hole and insert a straight pin?

Then I would need to find some of the clips if that's possible.

Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
You can always use urethane. It's much more stronger and much more adhesive. Have to be careful using it...can be a real messy if not carefully applied.

Have you ever used the Right Stuff gasket maker? It is a black silicone that is very strong, but easier than urethane to work with. I buy it in the small caulk tubes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, I have used it on cars. You're absolutely right. That, would be a better choice then urethane considering the ease of use.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
That stuff is amazing.

E
OP Offline
E
Gluing the stainless trim direct to the rubber gasket may have worked but I didn't have the 'Right Stuff' that was mentioned so I went back to my original thought and made some pin clips. I used a micro drill bit to drill some very small holes through galvanized sheet and bent some hardened S hooks as the pin. I then epoxied them to the stainless trim with Apoxie Sculpt that I already had. Rather than attempting to punch holes in the gasket I marked the hole locations and used the same micro drill to drill holes through the gasket, then inserted the pins to hold the trim. Worked pretty good.

1111.jpg 2222.jpg
Last edited by ed1966ss; Mon Nov 21 2016 02:07 PM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
That's an excellent fix, works as good as the original. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved