Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#670890 Wed Nov 02 2016 10:19 PM
M
Molvaro Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Let's take... THAT GOOD GULF GASOLINE porcelain sign on ebay.. under the sold and completed... the price range from 30 to 250... I feel like they're all fakes ... do real ones exist by reputable sellers on there? Even the links oldgas links to is on the fake list..do not buy list... does anyone here buy porcelain off ebay???

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
eBay is filled with mostly repops and garbage fantasy signs. Unfortunately you have to sift through the junk to find an authentic sign. That is even becoming harder these days. My advise, if you are new and want to start a collection, don't shop on eBay.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I can't Feel it , I CAN'T deal it .......

see ya on the road folks !
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Usually you get what you paid for,30 bucks for a 250 sign, don't be afraid to make a mistake,we all have, if you buy something, most sellers will let u return it,if you pay return shipping, good luck,and it's a hobby anyway

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By essco
Usually you get what you paid for,30 bucks for a 250 sign

I don't know about this advice... paying $30 for a $250 sign. A $250 sign on eBay (which is fake) never goes for $30. It'll go for $250 to $350 and the buyer gets ripped off.

Just because a sign is going for high dollar doesn't mean it's real. All the fakes are going for 10 to 50 times what they're worth. Just look at any 12" pump plate on eBay. 95% of those are fake.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I was thinking along the same line as you Speedracer when I read the "you get what you paid for" statement. I see fake Mobil pump plates sell everyday for WAY too much money, and the buyers are not buying an original sign for $200, but a $25 repro.

I think the exception to the rule these days would be to underpay for a sign. About the only way that happens is when a seller lists it at a cheap BIN and actually honors selling it for that amount, even after the higher offers to buy the item flood in when it's posted here on Old Gas that someone got too good of a deal and others can't stand it!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If, I'm not sure about a sign; it doesn't matter if it's on e-Bay or a private seller. It doesn't matter how good of a deal it is. I simply don't buy it. My gut instinct hasn't let me down yet. These reproduction signs are everywhere now. I run into them at antique stores, private collections, at auctions.

Take your time and learn as much as you can before you start buying signs. In my opinion, better to miss out on a sign or two, then to buy a reproduction at the prices of an original sign.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave is wise.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
yes and don't buy into the saying my grandpa use to own it. yeah grandpas still alive and bought it last year.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved