Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#671607 Fri Nov 11 2016 05:11 PM
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all -

I just thought I would share my latest project. I picked up (2) complete Wayne 505 pumps, and have them disassembled, blasted and primed. They look like fairly simple pumps, I thought of doing one or both in a Sunoco Racing Gasoline theme. As you can see from the pictures, I only have a 2-car garage available (and it is now full!), so sometimes it's a challenge.

I would be interested in hearing from others who have restored a Wayne 505, and what experiences you had, and what theme you went with. I also like "Aviation" themes also.

Here are some pictures. Thanks for you input! :-)

Eric

505a.jpg 505b.jpg 505c.jpg 505d.jpg

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Looking real good!! I'm finding doing one is enough work. Two at once? Kudo's!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
For those of you who don't know what a 505 looks like here is some pictures: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20500-505-1950.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are right in considering the Wayne 505's as being easy pumps to restore. You are off to a good start, looking good thus far.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is one that I restored 2 years ago.

image.jpeg

Kevin sexton
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!

Takitez - your pump looks great! How long did it take you to do a full restoration.

Jack - thanks always for your input. I was recently lucky enough to find, and buy a copy of your 1st Edition Guide to Gas Pumps book (I also have 2 copies of your 2nd Edition).
Looking forward to your next book!

Bennett 766, Wayne 505, Gilbarco 1006, A.O. Smith L-3 "Smithway", and a multitude of Gasboy, Gilbarco, Tokheim, Bennett consumer pumps.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
working on it a few hours each took me about 2 weeks

Kevin sexton
S
S
Wow! That looks great!

Smashing Darling
Great!! I just found my first 505 not to long ago.Looks like I am at the same stage of blasting and priming. I wish i could find another so I can have a pair but the antique cars take priority for space (for now). Mine will be a Polly attached to an island since it was a local company.
Cheers!

Resize Wizard500.jpg Resize Wizard-500.jpg
Last edited by chevy350; Mon Nov 14 2016 05:37 AM.

Vintage car restorer/collector with a love for all things old.. Too many toys never enough room.
Viking1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement.

Takitez - 2 weeks for completion is doing great. I only get a couple hours / week to work on them so it takes me "forever" (or so it seems!) to finish. But it's all good :-)

Chevy350 - Your 505 is looking good also....it seems we are at the same stage in our restorations. We will have to "compare notes" from time to time. I really like the Polly theme also, actually that was my second choice. I was thinking about keeping one and selling one, but it would be nice to have (2) matching pumps, so I might keep them both when finished. I'm still leaning toward the Sunoco Racing Gasoline Theme. By the way - I also have one complete extra set of Wayne 505 skins if you know anybody that is looking for them. I'd probably prefer someone local for pick-up though, so I don't have to worry about shipping.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Keep the two of of them. Will only cost you later if you change your mind.

I agree 100% on keeping both. The way we are going to set up the garage I would love to have two matching on an island with a lamp or two. For now I will have to do the island with only one pump and keep my eye out for another. Now if you lived closer to me I might change my story and try to convince you that you only need one. LOL I think your choice of theme is very nice.Are you planning on putting a globe on top or going globeless? I've seen some really nice ones that don't have one but I think I will.

Last edited by chevy350; Mon Nov 14 2016 07:38 PM.

Vintage car restorer/collector with a love for all things old.. Too many toys never enough room.
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
For those of you who don't know what a 505 looks like here is some pictures: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20500-505-1950.htm

Jack Sim

Thank you for sharing Jack!!! Amazing literature!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Here is a picture of a couple of Wayne 501 Display pumps that I got a few years ago.

wayne 505 001.JPG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved