Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#674228 Wed Dec 14 2016 12:29 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Restoring a Tokheim Tall 39 gas pump. The pump only had one badly faded silver embossed face plate when I got it. I ordered two new face plates from Vics66. I knew they were white but since they were the only ones that were for the 39 Tall so I ordered them. So while they do line up with the sight glass & number readouts they are shorter by 1/2 inch, so you have to make an upper & lower adapter to mount it? The new ones are 16 7/8" while the old silver one is 17 5/8" My question is does any body make the longer silver ones for this pump? Is the silver face plate older?
The old silver one has the Tokheim name embossed & the area around the gas sight glass is raised. It is a much nicer looking Face Plate!
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by West Coast B/A; Wed Dec 14 2016 12:34 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
No one that I know of makes the silver face plates. The ones you have should fit, but they attach to the computer not the two face brackets the old one used. I don't think anyone makes the sight glass trim with the tabs to fit the face plate. They did not have writing on them because it was on the face plate. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your tin plate attaches differently too. You will notice that the porcelain plate attaches directly to the computer, instead of the mounting brackets. I'm not sure which one was utilized first, but the porcelain plates will work, as they are the same length as the exposed part of your old tin plate.
You will notice at the bottom of your tin plate, that there is a line running across the front---well, there is a small tin piece missing there, and I think it was only for the purpose of closing up the gap and helping reflect the lighting.
There is a trim ring that goes around the sight glass, and can be purchased and installed on the porcelain plate if you desire?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By gatorgaspumps
No one that I know of makes the silver face plates. The ones you have should fit, but they attach to the computer not the two face brackets the old one used. I don't think anyone makes the sight glass trim with the tabs to fit the face plate. They did not have writing on them because it was on the face plate. Richard

Thanks!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
Your tin plate attaches differently too. You will notice that the porcelain plate attaches directly to the computer, instead of the mounting brackets. I'm not sure which one was utilized first, but the porcelain plates will work, as they are the same length as the exposed part of your old tin plate.
You will notice at the bottom of your tin plate, that there is a line running across the front---well, there is a small tin piece missing there, and I think it was only for the purpose of closing up the gap and helping reflect the lighting.
There is a trim ring that goes around the sight glass, and can be purchased and installed on the porcelain plate if you desire?

Thanks for the info!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Was told by an employee of Tokheim the aluminum faces were pre WWII
And porcelain were after the war but I don't know for sure. If you have fitting issues feel free to give me a call I will be glad to help. Thanks Don

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Don Beaver
Was told by an employee of Tokheim the aluminum faces were pre WWII
And porcelain were after the war but I don't know for sure. If you have fitting issues feel free to give me a call I will be glad to help. Thanks Don

Thanks Don. Just wanted to make sure the older silver face plates were not available before I started assembly.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've made those anodized aluminum faces (without the embossing but the lettering in red) since 1996. $50 a set plus shipping.
These have the lower lip 'built in'.
Ron

Tok39tall.gif
Tok39

Last edited by Ron Scobie; Wed Dec 14 2016 03:32 PM.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wowser! Those look really good--glad to know they are available.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Maurice, I see Ron posted the faces like your originals If you would rather use the aluminum faces I would be more than happy to refund your purchase price for the white faces if you would like to return them. Let me know either way. Thanks Don

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Don, I will probably take you up on that offer!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Ron Scobie
I've made those anodized aluminum faces (without the embossing but the lettering in red) since 1996. $50 a set plus shipping.
These have the lower lip 'built in'.
Ron

Hi Ron, Interested in these silver faces! I have sent you a PM

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have been reading this string as it was updated with new posting throughout the day. Someone has a question, someone else has an explanation, one seller shows us another option available and the original seller offers a full refund. That is why collectors new and old stay connected on OG. Knowledge willingly shared with a sense of teamwork throughout. Way to go OG guys. Merry Christmas

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By UpnorthNeil
I have been reading this string as it was updated with new posting throughout the day. Someone has a question, someone else has an explanation, one seller shows us another option available and the original seller offers a full refund. That is why collectors new and old stay connected on OG. Knowledge willingly shared with a sense of teamwork throughout. Way to go OG guys. Merry Christmas

Well said Neil, I totally agree!
Merry Christmas to all at Gas Station Shop Talk!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please email me rather than use a PM.
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings