Next Thread
Print Thread
#61853 Wed Aug 15 2007 12:51 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Has anyone considered making repop Fry 117 upper skins out of fiberglass? Not for the purist, but would be great for the guy wanting to put a Fry outside. My 117 has some rust-out where it bolts to the base and some deep pitting on the skins. I've seen both aluminum and fiberglass dome and doors but haven't had any luck replacing the skins. It's for outside display, so I don't want to spend $1500 on nice metal. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jim Winter
The Hot Rod Grille www.wvpinball.com

Jim Winter
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61854 Wed Aug 15 2007 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's the cost of the molds that keeps anyone from doing them. They would need to sell at least 100 sets to justify making them. IF, it's not a exact mold, the other parts that are made won't fit.

Get a body shop/sheet metal shop or welder to replace/add some metal on back side where it's rusted out, then fiberglass over the area. Bondo fill the rest & sand down.
db

#61855 Wed Aug 15 2007 06:28 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
a friend of mine here in nc is making them out of abs plastic and the look pretty good, I'll have to check and see if he is still doing this as I haven't been to his place in a while. Rich B

clockface pumps, Harleys, the Beach
#61856 Thu Aug 16 2007 06:43 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Thanks for the replies, guys! DB, You're probably right about the cost of the molds to do them in fiberglass. I just hate to do extensive welding / body work and sit it out in the weather and see the body work "come out" by next year. Rich, please check with your friend to see if he is still making the ABS skins. They would work fine for my application. I appreciate the help!

Jim Winter

Jim Winter

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved