Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I recently became the owner of this globe. I bought it from someone who knows much more than I do, but there are some things I'd like to verify for myself.

The Atlantic Imperial faces are supposed to be genuine and not reproduction. I'm not sure of the era they came from, but the seller said 1930s. Hoping someone on here can confirm whether or not the faces are genuine.

My main question has to do with the "body" surrounding the faces. Supposedly, this is a "Gill" body, another genuine item, not a repop. The body has some cracks in it, though it remains intact at this time. You'd better believe that when I move this thing, I am careful with it. Actually, though you can't see it in the attached image, the "base" of the Gill body is quite fragile with a chunk or two broken off. I now have this globe in my garage, sitting in a wooden base for display on top of my outside refrigerator.

Are these bodies marked in some way, or does one just have to acquire knowledge of them by virtue of books or other media?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
None of the 'metallic' gas globe lenses have been reproduced - so you're good there.

And I don' think any milkglass Gill bodies have been reproduced either. At least I've not seen any.

They do reproduce the 'Ripple' Gill bodies - but those are easy to distinguish from a real one.

Later . . .

Jim

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
body is real,lenses are more 50's time period

OP Offline
Originally Posted By T-way
They do reproduce the 'Ripple' Gill bodies - but those are easy to distinguish from a real one.

The seller was trying to make me understand something about some reproduction Gill bodies - he mentioned something about some ribbing that could be felt with the fingers, or, at least, that's what I recall.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those lenses date from the late 50's through mid 60's.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
OP Offline
Originally Posted By hemistudegasser
body is real,lenses are more 50's time period

Originally Posted By Lastgas15
Those lenses date from the late 50's through mid 60's.

Thanks, guys. What about the time period for the Gill body itself?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your gill body dates to the same time period as the lenses, although bodies like this were around as early as the 1930's.

Since your globe body already has a number of cracks in it, you should consider doing some repair work on the inside. This will guard against the body possibly cracking further, or even shattering at some time in the future. Such an event could cause the lenses (one or both) to fall and break. Wouldn't that irritate you? You can apply clear, two-part epoxy generously (build it up) along the crack lines on the INSIDE of the globe body. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Jan 05 2017 08:09 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By Jolly-John
Your gill body dates to the same time period as the lenses, although bodies like this were around as early as the 1930's.

Since your globe body already has a number of cracks in it, you should consider doing some repair work on the inside. This will guard against the body possibly shattering at some time in the future, thus causing the lenses (one or both) to fall and break. Wouldn't that irritate you? You can apply clear, two-part epoxy generously (build it up) along the crack lines on the INSIDE of the globe body. John

Indeed, I would be extremely irritated in the event of such a disaster. Thanks for that suggestion. I will check into doing just that.

And, thanks for the info about the time frame on the Gill body. I have a great deal to learn.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"You can apply clear, two-part epoxy generously (build it up) along the crack lines on the INSIDE of the globe body."

I did this to the inside of my Tokheim 36 glass top and wish I did not. The epoxy and glass did not expand and contract the same and caused it to crack a lot more than it was.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Matt-- I have used the clear 2 part epoxy to repair both broken lenses and damaged globe bodies, with great success. I have even used a mold and filled in missing pieces on globe bodies with no ill effects. I completely rebuilt the base on a cities clover globe, several years ago, and its still in great shape today.
I have also applied this same epoxy to the back side of a lens to stop a crack, and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I sure don't know why you had the results that you did?
Check out this old thread on one of my projects!

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=630097

Last edited by K W FRITH; Sat Jan 07 2017 09:28 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved