Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#61992 Wed Mar 08 2006 10:52 PM
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Is Aumann Auctions getting too "big for their britches"? Is anyone else having the problems I'm having?
First of December I purchased a sign on line during the auction. When the sign didn't show up,after a month, I called. "oh, we're sorry, the sign was stolen during the auction but we will return your money we billed on your credit card". OK..things happen. Then I purchased two signs the same way at the end of February. Same thing...no signs show up. I called last week only to hear "oh the signs are sitting here and we forgot to send them out. We'll get them right out to you". What's going on here Dan?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#61993 Wed Mar 08 2006 11:32 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Sorry to hear that your sign was stolen. Aumann did my auction the end of January. I gave them a great collection to sell at an excellent location. I was very dissapointed in the way things were handled. I was promised certain things and they didn't stand behind those promises. What you see is not what you get. I agree with hotcidr that Aumann has gotten too "big for their britches". After the internet problems that they had at the October Peatone show, I expressed my concerns to Dan Mathews that I could not afford to have the internet down. He assured me that they had their internet problems fixed. I lost a few thousand dollars because bidders could not get their bids through. Their internet problems were NOT FIXED. Now don't get me wrong, money is one thing,but it was very important to me and Nita that this auction be a fun thing. I told Dan Mathews that I wanted this to be the best run auction that they had ever done. It most definately was NOT, and the fun part left early on. When I called Kurt Aumann to complain about something that was wrong that was very important to me, I was told that he was tired of me calling their office every time that there was a "hiccup" about my auction.
Of course, I was upset and their was some yelling going on after his comment. But I was his customer and his job was to make me a satisfied customer. I advise anyone thinking or planning to have an auction, to be very cautions in your dealings with Aumann Auctions.
All of the above has been said to the Aumann Auction group, so this isn't new to them. As far as they are concerned, I was a pain in their butt. At the top of every flyer, it said "Rex and Nita Bensons Auction" If my name is on it, I am going to work to make it right. They need to take more pride in what they do and work to satisfy their customers, sellers and buyers.

Many Oldgasers have posted about problems that they had with the bidding process for my auction. Check out their posts. Just imagine how many others are out there that had problems too.
When I relate my problems with the auction, I keep getting the same responses. "Rex, it's all about the money". Nita and I are very upset that we didn't take a more business like approach and write into the contract the things that they told us verably would happen. We know better now. Again, what you see is not what you get.
Rex Benson

#61994 Thu Mar 09 2006 12:03 AM
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Rex,

I am sorry to hear about this. You were right about the internet, my wife could not even watch the auction. I was hoping that you would have an enjoyable time but as it turned out you did not. I hope they fix their mistakes and problems on their end. I have known you and Nita for a while and know that both of you are first class honest people. There needs to be a public apology on their end and by all means get everything in writing.

PHIL LIKES REX!!!

Thanks, Phil
#61995 Thu Mar 09 2006 01:57 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I personally think that they stick it to the people.When I asked about the buyers premium I was told they charge this to cover the costs of internet and credit card bidding.Im a cash buyer so neither one of these options benefit me.I should not have to pay a buyers penalty,as most call it,just the price I bid on it.I have never been to an auction where they do this and never will.They already charge their clients enough commision,and then they have to charge the buyer.Enough is enough,dont go to the auctions and they will change their process,they dont have a business if they dont have your stuff to sell.

------------------

#61996 Thu Mar 09 2006 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray,
I know they've had some problems in their shipping department recently. There have been personell changes made that should correct the problem.
Steve,
You won't find anyone more opposed to the buyers premium, but they are not sticking it to anyone. The sellers are given a reduced commission when the buyers premium is used. The BP is just a marketing too used to make auction selling more attractive to sellers.
I don't think you'll find widespread support for staying away from auctions where a bp is charged. Collectors usually put the desire to own an item ahead of common financial sense. Like I said, I don't like the bp, but its been around for over 30 years. It isn't going away.
Rex,
For what its worth your auction was fun for me and everyone I talked to the attended it in person. I'm sorry it wasn't a good experience for you.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#61997 Thu Mar 09 2006 06:26 AM
Online Cool
I wasn't able to attend Rex's auction in person. I was able to follow along and bid online OK. I took into consideration the buyer fee when I bid, and won one item. They shipped it in a well built wooden crate and it arrived safely. I enjoyed that experience with Aumann Auctions. Sorry that Rex and others did not have a good experience.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#61998 Thu Mar 09 2006 06:55 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I know in my gut I should run screaming from this thread and never open it again, but I've never been a smart guy, so.....

Peotone was my first time attending an Aumann Sale and what I was most impressed with was Kurt's actual calling or auctioneering, massively impressive!!

The other thing I will say, is that the day I can't utilize a buyer's premium is the day I would stop having my auction. The cost of putting a sale like mine together and promoting it properly, staffing it properly, & running it effectively eats up every dime of seller commisson generally before the auction even starts. I understand the discomfort of tacking on 10-15% to your purchase price, heck I spent $8000 at the Peotone sale, so I coughed up $800 in premium. But I realize, without the premium, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to buy the stuff in the first place. After putting on 9 auctions that have seen over 7000 pieces of merchandise sold, and close to $3 million dollars paid to sellers, I feel I can speak from experience when I say that you would see 75% of petroliana auctions cease without the buyer's premium. Seth

#61999 Thu Mar 09 2006 07:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The only problem I really had was with their shipping prices, 2 globes to England cost me $740, nearly fell off my chair!

Packaging conisted of 4 cardboard boxes and peanuts,forgot to mention the $203 i had to pay Mr Tony Blair in import duty.so nearly $1000 total.
GPG

[This message has been edited by gaspumpgary (edited 03-09-2006).]

#62000 Thu Mar 09 2006 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had trouble bidding at Rex's auction, but no trouble at all bidding at the last one. Maybe the problem is fixed.

#62001 Thu Mar 09 2006 08:00 AM
I
I
I check out this page a lot to see what advertising people are saying and after reading a few coments about Aumann auctions decided to register to add to topic. I got a couple items from them on the internet and was not happy at all. One item did not receive and the other had all kinds of splotting on the sign. I emailed them and never received a reply after three tries figured that was enough for me. I went to the Petone auction and have gone a few times since I'm close. I find it interesting what they get away with.They want to say they want everyone happy but as I know and others have posted not quie so. Maybe they refer to ther own people at the auction. First if your not in the click they don't have much time to spend on any questions about a sign. Second there grading system as well as upfrontness to me is some what suspect. I collect signs not just oil and gas and I find they seem to grad high. Some items that seem and I say seem to be new they slide over very quickly. The internet guy is all alone on this. For what they charge the consigner and the the buyers premium, you would think they then wouldn't push there catalog. I heard through the grape vine at the auction some get for nothing. I go but I'm very leary of this company anymore. I know sounds like sour grapes but is not I assure you. It seems as you look around other dealers are keeping this auction company going, which is obvious when you go to the show part and see many items that were in the auction. Thanks for the shoulder and ear, from a collector of all kind of signs not hard core oil and gas guy.

#62002 Thu Mar 09 2006 08:55 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
If I remember correctly I think that when I went to use proxibid for Rex's auction that proxibid required me to use a new version of Java to run there console. That is where the problem was for me. Once I trouble shot it I was able to see the items I wanted even though I did not bid. I think the problem was with proxibid. HOWEVER...

A problem with proxibid is not an excuse for long shipping or bad shipping and Aumann still needs to take responsibility for proxibid not working. Two times in a row with proxibid problems is not acceptable. Also the shipping certainly needs to be fixed and fixed right. There would be nothing more frustrating then to pay for an item and then not get it or not get it for an extended amount of time. It sounds like the Aumann crew has some trust to earn back in the oldgas community. Business Idea! Some collector needs to contract to the auction houses to take care of shipping for them. You have to think there is money in it.

------------------
Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#62003 Thu Mar 09 2006 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like signs,
I suggest you call Dan about the sign you didn't receive and the condition of the other sign.
Of course they want everyone to be happy. Sometimes that isn't possible.
Grading is always subjective. You think they grade high. Rex thought they graded low.
I saw Dan interrupt an auction to announce that a sign was a repro. As far as I can tell if its a repop they say so. If they're not sure they say so.
Catalogs are paid for by the seller. When they sell them the seller gets credit on his account. Yes, some buyers get free catalogs. Sellers have them send out free catalogs to certain buyers (heavy hitters or friends of the seller).
There will be dealers at any auction. I don't understand your point. Aumann's continue to get record prices. Its collectors paying those big prices, not dealers.

Gary,
That's incredible! Was there a breakdown for packaging, shipping, insurance, duty?

Seth,
I disagree that 75% of petro auctions would cease without the BP. Aumann's didn't use to charge one, and they still don't if the seller opts to pay a higher commission.
Your sales differ in that you hire an outside auctioneer. Thats just another hand in the cookie jar.

Bottom line is Aumann's crew are human. They make mistakes. Even with the occaissional problems I don't see anyone doing a better job. I know there were problems with Rex's auction but I don't think it was a train wreck.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#62004 Thu Mar 09 2006 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
There is a lot of finger pointing as far as who is to blame for the internet bidding problems. Things seem to run smoothly if there aren't many Proxibid auctions going at the same time. Even with the problems internet sales ran 18-32% at a recent multi-day auction.
The shipping problems are unexcusable, and I was told that they made some personell changes and are working towards having everything shipped within 5 days. Part of the problem is they ship many items UPS and UPS destroys so much stuff that Aumann's has started building wooden crates for many items that would have shipped in a cardboard box in the past.
Lets hope the recent changes take care of the problem.

#62005 Thu Mar 09 2006 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe I missed this in the reading, but what does Aumann charge for the SELLER/COSIGNEER premium?

Most auction companies I know bascially charge around 30% commission. Then you have to look at how you split that up. Sometimes 20% seller, 10% buyer. I guess they figure they'll get better cosignments this way. Some don't charge a buyers premium and the seller soaks up the 30%. Their reasoning is they'll attract more bidders, thus maybe increased selling prices.

I have seen some "high" end auction houses around the country charging a 15%-20%-25% buyers premium! I even saw one that was 30% To me that is totally unacceptable. I should call some of these and see what they are charging for cosigners. If I attend an auction that charges a buyers premium, like this weekend, I figure in that 10% into how much I'll bid. Alot of people I know do this.

Costs are going up all over. To me it seems out of control. Has anyone shipped anything vis UPS or USPS lately, that's a whole other topic, sorry.

Whatever they charge, the bottom line with any business is the customer. Without them your done. It is impossible to make everyone happy all the time, but they better damn well try. Every sale counts, even if it's only a couple of bucks. I have emailed Aumann and a couple of other business with small questions in the past and was willing to spend money with them, but I never heard anything back from them, so no sale, no money from me.

Like my father in law tells me, "Pennies make dollars"

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#62006 Thu Mar 09 2006 12:58 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Let me rephrase then Bob....I think they amount of good collections being offered for sale at auction would be significantly reduced if those owners were asked to pay 25% off their gross sales in commission and expenses. Sure, there would still be the occasional sale, but anybody that has been paying attention can see that the number of auctions is ever-increasing. I believe that to be a direct result of the affordability of the auction option to the seller. And it is only become affordable to the seller since the advent of the buyer's premium. I can say without any doubt, that the gentleman that consigned the 75 globe collection to me this year, would have run screaming if I would've asked him for 25% of his gross. It cost him roughly $15,000 to sell $150,000 worth of globes. That's a lot easier to swallow than $37,500. Like I said earlier, when I am on the 'buy' side of an auction, I sure wish there was no premium, but having been on the 'sell' side so many times, I know that it is near impossible to do without it.

As to the whole shipping situation, I can also speak from experience. Everyday since my sale (which was on 2/18), I have been shipping signs (except when I was at Peotone delivering auction signs). Finally today, I just have a juke-box left to crate up. We sold $116,000 worth of merchandise online, and for one guy & a helper, that is a boat-load of stuff to ship. I know the guys at Aumann would love to snap their fingers and have the stuff magically appear on our door-steps, but that isn't reality. I bet I've been through 200 1" x 4" x 10' pieces of utility white pine!! LITERALLY.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion only! (Formed through 9 years of experience)

1 member likes this: Mamakat
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved