Next Thread
Print Thread
#680379 Fri Feb 24 2017 01:43 PM
RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A few questions actually...Apologies in advance for the word-heavy post:

Do you prefer your maps with the station stamp (the stamp pertaining to specific location/address of station issuing map) or without? Does it add to or detract from value?

Now, onto displaying them. Personally, when it comes to the trifold display maps (for a lack of a better word, I am referring to the maps that first unfold to three flaps with graphics continued to each or separate displayed on each flap) I like to display them unfolded, not all the way, but just to those three flaps I was referring to. From there, I press them flat in a picture frame. Displaying like this, however, seems to put stress on the creases, to what extent, I don't know....

So my question is, does anyone think displaying them like this can damage the map at those creases or otherwise?

Last edited by RedHat; Fri Feb 24 2017 01:44 PM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad, I'm not sure if my answers will help you any?

As to the Station Stamp? I have a few Maps that have them most of mine do not. I haven't found that the Stamp influences Values; either way.

As to displaying Maps. I have displayed some older more visible graphic Maps; laid open in a frame and did not notice any damage to the creases. I mostly, because of space, display maps "side by side" in frames. An example of this is how I display some of my earlier Associated Maps (the maps in lower level are from left to right: 1929-'30, '31-'32 and '33-'34)

image upload no resize

Now in this image is the earliest Tydol Map that I know exists: 1922 and in the Map Rack (from top to bottom)1926 to 1930. Below that Tydol Group from 1946- '47 with Glove Compartment Map Holders

image hosting websites

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last image, Associated Region Maps:

Upper Left from 1954, showing the front and back of Map.
Upper Right: 1939 and 1940 Maps.
Below in the large Frame; 4 Maps from 1951, showing the 3 different back graphics avail and the front of the Map (the graphic on each Billboard is different):

how do i print screen

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
As a paper/ephemera collector and conservator for the local historical society, the obvious is the more you open and close any paper item, you are weakening and damaging the item. The more flatly the item can be stored or displayed, the better. Now here's me getting "wordy", lol.......

In the line of the stress you may be adding by framing a map, there are a couple variables to gauge how damaging it may be. One variable is how brittle the paper is. Ephemera type items were not meant to be saved, they were made from the cheapest materials available at the time. This means most of these items are made from acidic, poor grade paper pulp. (Unfortunately these items are naturally self-destructing) In opportune storage conditions over the years, the paper can still be in almost "as new" condition, crispy, bright, and pliable. Paper stored in attics or negative conditions with extreme variables in heat and cold, moisture and dryness suffer the most. This paper is no longer bright but turning tan or brown, is very brittle, chips easily, or literally breaks apart when attempting to unfold. Obviously items in this condition shouldn't be handled anymore than need be. Although anything saved in this condition is probably very rare it would be best to leave the item as is and store out of the light in an acid free housing to preserve it as best as possible. Maps that are still in good condition however are prime for framing. I do not see any negative damage that can be done to the seams by framing, if the paper itself is still in good condition. The frame backing should also be of an acid free material by the way.

This does, however, lead into the other major damaging variable which is light. Light is a huge enemy to paper collectibles, no matter how old the item is. I guess it's up to the person displaying the items how concerned they are with overall preservation, but in my world light is enemy #1 to most everything I own. (In other words, do you want to preserve the item for future generations, or just yourself?) UV coated glass is highly recommended, if you truly want to preserve the items you are displaying. NEVER display in direct sunlight! NEVER....did I say never....? Fluorescent tube lighting is just as bad. Have you ever been into an antique mall and noticed how faded items near the tops in cases get? Sometimes I absolutely cringe when I see what items are near the lights. They have limited time before they are ruined or collectibility is diminished considerably.

Sorry to get wordy, but paper preservation is a very important aspect of what I do. It should be important to all of us if we want to preserve our paper items for future collectors.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Rubber stamped graphic maps decreases there value.
Generic covers with properly placed stamped locations could add value but not much & then to only a few collectors.
I don't frame or display any of my maps but scan or take a picture before storing them.

Dave

RedHat Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great stuff guys, thank you.

Bob, that is a great idea - space seems to get more and more limited every day, just too many nice maps And too little wall space. By the way, I have never seen the Veedol map(s) in that first picture. Any info about it/them? Did not even know Tidewater did Veedol maps as the main cover brand...I'm used to seeing the Tydol Trails maps with the Veedol Can or logo placed on the right or left flap.

And wow, Darin, no need to apologize...that was the most on point answer I could have imagined to my question, much appreciated. Your preservation work is commendable, a lot would be lost to time without people who appreciate it taking the time to save it. I find it fascinating that a brittle piece of paper can last the life of some of the cans, globes and signs we see in our hobby. I find my love for all things paper petroliana increase every day.

Dave, that is what I kinda figured. I like to know where the specific-issuing station was, but all too often see haphazardly placed stamps. As for scanning and storing, another great idea. My problem with this method, unless space has become really limited, is not being able to actively view them. I like to have the real thing right there on my wall to see, if you know what I mean. When you want to flick through them, do you open up the scans on the computer? Or do you thumb through a binder or folder where you keep them? I have been curious how to display/store the ones not on my walls.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad, I know of three versions of the Veedol Road Map from Tide Water Associated. The ones in the frame are dated: On the left, it has a blue background and is dated 1939. On the right, has a black background and is dated 1940.

Third version is dated 1947:

image posting

Not sure why Tydol made a separate map for Veedol in these three years? But, I think they are great additions to my collection...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved