Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm looking at a pair of cast iron White Eagle statues. Both have been painted gold over the white paint. They are heavy, guessing 200 lbs and are around 32" tall. Each has 3 mounting holes on the base. Was told they have been with the same family for 30+ years.

My only concern is that the details on each bird look a bit dull - not a lot of definition to the feathers, etc. Has anyone else encountered any like these in this?

Anymore it seems like everything needs to be double checked for being a possible reproduction.

Thank you everyone for the help!

image1.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I had 4 at one time now have 2 and all had some casting flaws. They look good to me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Honestly my first thought is they aren't right. I cant seem to find pictures of mine but they have a lot more detail and no grind marks on the seems. I hope I'm wrong if you already bought them-it does happen with a fair amount of regularity. I seem to have lost a bunch of pictures. Ill try to get to mine tomorrow and get a few new pictures.

Last edited by JimT; Tue Mar 07 2017 06:34 PM.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I will look at mine tomorrow and compare some different areas.

OP Offline
Have not got them yet, thought I better check first. Thank you for checking your photos!

OP Offline
Here is a image of the underside of one - solid cast iron.

A
A
I have owned a few and still have one they were castin two halfs and then joined at thr factory some have more grinding marks then others they look ok to me

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The base is slightly different from mine. Even given the deeper rust pits on mine, yours looks smoother with differences on some edges.

white eagle base resize.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just throwing this out there.... molds get damaged and undergo repairs all the time, and they also wear out. I'm guessing even more so that many years ago. I just thought I'd say that I wouldn't be too quick to make a judgement call on a cast item without doing as much research as possible. ( I'm also wondering if it's possible that they were sand castings. In that case there'd be all kinds of differences)

Last edited by ironheadtom; Wed Mar 08 2017 07:49 AM.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I looked at mine today. Those are fine buy them if you can get them for a fair price.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
heres some more pictures. Seems like the front corners are a little different on the underside view. Same as Muntzmans. But other than that the underside is very similar. For some reason that picture is too large to use. hope you get them.

wehead.jpg wefeathers.jpg webase.jpg wefull.jpg
Last edited by JimT; Wed Mar 08 2017 05:37 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I worked in a foundry for 14 years and patterns would be modified and also shipped off to different foundries for production. Sometimes you also had multiple patterns with slight differences. It is very difficult to call. One tell tale sign is the quality of the iron and the casting. Castings today are of a different "quality". Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
OP Offline
Thank you everyone for the help. I did end up purchasing them both. When it warms up, the nasty gold paint is coming off.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved