Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So yesterday I was able to acquire a piece that I have always hoped to some day own. Although faded quite a bit, with the light off it doesn't look to bad for approximately 100 years old. But with the light on, it looks like a pair of my old underwear all full of holes.

Anyone ever have any luck match painting in the missing spots?

If done successfully, would this affect value in your opinion? Or enhance the piece?

This may be a terrible idea, but what about clear coating the back side of lens to preserve what's left?

I'm just curious what experience has taught those who have been down this road.

I'm thrilled to own this very very rare globe, I'm just somewhat disappointed with how she looks with the lights on.
Any thoughts appreciated!!!

P.S., I find it interesting that none of the main field yellow is missing.

IMG_20170307_190822336 (2).jpg IMG_20170307_190756329 (2).jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Wed Mar 08 2017 02:08 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Steve. My opinion: I wouldn't start messing with it, if it were mine. I think any attempt to "touch-up" the lenses will not end well.

Your globe is what it is at this point in its "life", and many guys will appreciate the piece for just that reason. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Tue Mar 07 2017 06:16 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Steve,
I think it looks great just like it is. I personally would not WANT perfection in a 100 year old globe. She's got a great old patina - let her continue to age gracefully.

If you mess with it, it will look like one of those old actresses that you can tell have had too much "work" done. They just don't look right.

BrianH

Brian H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
agree with the top 2 comments, sometimes when you do what your thinking about doing, at a point you ask yourself why didn't I
leave it alone- better off as is, more harm will result than good .. ... cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'd leave it alone!!! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I understand the need to leave it alone but I have similar lenses, and if nothing is done you will eventually end up with a clear lens. A non-fired lens can be incredibly fragile and mine were losing paint literally every day so I made a decision to spray a matte clear to the back side. It's hard to tell from the front now and at least what's left of the existing paint has been preserved.

Steven, I think that Sunoco lens looks great as is even lit up. Wish my non fired lenses had only that much missing paint. I wouldn't consider touch up but like I say you need to preserve what you have. Vern

What say ye, forum?

Last edited by gaspower; Tue Mar 07 2017 11:40 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve as said before there is really no good way to "touch up" the lens. I have tried many ways and all were failures to my eye. I think the best suggestion was by Gaspower after testing on the edge. But if it is not dropping color I would leave it alone and just let it be. Great globe, enjoy!

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't touch it either. They usually only look worse if you even try to clean the dust off. The last one of that type I had was a Skelly and an owner before me had tried to clean a spot and it definitely hurt more than it helped. As far as paint falling off and continuing to deteriorate, I would think that if kept in a controlled environment and not subjected to heat from a light bulb it would hold condition pretty well. Sunlight, gas fumes and heat are what killed them in the first place and when kept away from those elements they will usually stabilize at least. If you do want to light it, use a small led that doesn't put off any heat. I light all of my globes with low voltage LEDs, even fired lenses don't need the heat from conventional bulbs. Cool looking globe Steve....Gary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rabbitman said it best.

I have many non-fired lenses in my collection. If you keep them indoors, away from humidity, temp change, etc... then they will stay the same. I would not suggest any attempts at cleaning, clearing, or touching up the lenses. Put it inside and it will retain its look for another 100 years.

(if it must be lit, do it with an LED)

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree not to mess with it, but if did want to touch up I'd probably use an airbrush or touch up gun on a fine mist in a spot pattern, adding a little at a time. I've never done it and I'd just leave it be anyway, messing with it would hurt value more than help.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...don't touch it up...for any number of reasons...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Touch up will stand out like a sore thumb.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks all for the input and those who PM'd me!
I would think a good airbrush guy could do wonders.
However, I'll likely leave it as is.
I just wanted to see if anyone had had any success with such a venture.
The globe will certainly be inside, and I can't see it decaying any further just sitting on the shelf.
It sure is amazing having this in my collection!!! What a rare piece!

Keep an eye out for coming new globe shelf posting.

Thanks again all!!!!
Steven

Last edited by Steven C.; Wed Mar 08 2017 04:16 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved