Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#683081 Thu Mar 23 2017 08:47 PM
S
schuh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The original porcelain faceplates on the pump I'm restoring are in fairly good shape except for a few surface rust patches, mostly near the edges. No amount of polishing, chemicals, soft scrub, etc. will remove these patches without harming the porcelain.

I am tempted to try some sort of paint on these areas but I can't imagine it blending in or looking good.

So .... has anyone successfully cleaned/painted minor rusty areas on faceplates with good results?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
I took my face plate to a place that mixes automotive paint, they scanned it and mixed up a bottle of touch up paint. I was able to fill in areas where the porcelain was chipped. It is not perfect, but it sure looks better than missing porcelain. They were able to provide paint in a bottle with a brush and spray paint that matched.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
At Menards I got a small bottle of white appliance touch up paint and there is a brush attached to the cap. I usually do two coats to make the touched up area level with the rest of the face plate.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
S
schuh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will investigate both!

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I use White Out to touch up with !!!Pretty darn good match to fill in chips with !!

Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
I like to use 1 SHOT sign paint for touching up porcelain. Part # 103L Polar White, 4 oz. Professional sign paint. It flows really well and couple coats usually does the job.

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved