Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow! Beautiful globe Wasatchman!

Well I'm glad who ever repoped this standard lens made it easy to spot. Almost want to believe they purposely put in the wrong number of prongs just for us collectors.

I'm happy to say that the DynaFuel example on the CD says, Made in USA on it. So I feel better about my lenses now.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Paul thanks for pointing out the visible era reference. But I'll still be cautious with any globes with lenses visibly marked made in usa, without any other markings.

I see a lot of signs that are also marked with usa but they also tend to be dated or are accompanied by a manufacturer's mark. Joe

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
If you look at the Standard Gasoline globe from Standard Oil of California, on the globe CD, page 82, it has the same number and placement of prongs, as the suspect globe.

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I see on Scott's site gasglobes.com in the globes sold section, page 8 there is another Chevron related globe of the era with similar Made In USA marking.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By HoneyBearFarm
If you look at the Standard Gasoline globe from Standard Oil of California, on the globe CD, page 82, it has the same number and placement of prongs, as the suspect globe.

I'm using the 2012 version of the CD, and that is where I took my reference picture from, and it does not agree with the globe of subject. For me it was page 57.
BTW, FWIW, it was not my intention to call out this seller, they probably have no idea whether or not this is authentic.

Screen Shot 04-05-17 at 03.50 AM.JPG

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Made in USA is certainly not a red flag for determining originality, its been used for years on nearly everything, as has been pointed out on here. Posts like this with erroneous information is not healthy for the hobby

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By KZ1000
Made in USA is certainly not a red flag for determining originality, its been used for years on nearly everything, as has been pointed out on here. Posts like this with erroneous information is not healthy for the hobby

...agreed...learn your fonts and colors...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I was asked to take a look at this globe. There is no doubt it is different than most "Standard Gasoline" globes. In this hobby one must realized there were many different glass manufacturers of gas globes. Though they tried to make them all look identical, that rarely worked. "Made in USA" appears on many gas globes. Some have it, some do not and it does not raise a red flag on any globe. Sometimes when a gas globe was used outside our borders they had "Made in USA" on them but again not always the case. I have many Sinclair globes, among others, most all say, "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF" and I have one dated 1928 that has "Made in USA" on it so there shoots that theory...I went through several photos of "Standard Gasoline" globes I have personally owned and collectors that had sent me photos and I found one exactly like this one. I know that one was real because it had faint "paper marks" in the insert on the one side those are impossible to fake. I don't have the one on eBay in my hands. As long as the inserts are fired the globe should be fine. The color is right on. I don't know anyone that made this globe undated as a phony and the Canadian ones from decades ago well they did not make one of these...The globe should be fine just another variation from a different glass company. Scott Benjamin

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So glad you chimed in on this Scott!! However, your comments sure make things more confusing for this novice. Wow, so not all authentic globes are identical when it comes to portraying the company logo? That sure changes things a bit.
Well thanks for the clarification!!!

Steve Coppens
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Scott for responding to this thread, the community appreciates it.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve,

Sunoco sued Miller Oil Company of Canada because they had 'Sun Lubricating Gasoline' and 'Sun Standard Gasoline' brands and Sunoco didn't like the competition.

Sued them for Trademark Infringement and won.

Your lenses may have been intended for Canadian usage and marked as 'Made in U.S. A.' because of Canadian rules.

Jim

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I consider posts like these to be useful discussions. I'm relatively new to the hobby and looking to start a globe collection, but I want to buy with confidence. At the same time, I don't want to pass on good opportunities because I'm over-cautious. Now I know that globes marked "made in usa", with no other visible markings (date, reg, manufacturer,etc) does not necessarily rule it out as being authentic. This is why I consider this site to be such a valuable resource. Thanks for the info. Joe

PS. It was through this post that I learned about the Scott globe CD. I plan to purchase a copy of the ebook when I'm able to download in a reasonable time period.

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Here are the pics of the back of the lenses, these are original they came from an Standard oil dealer in Washington state

Body is new came from Slama

149140171338994.jpeg 3.jpeg
Last edited by neonhighway; Wed Apr 05 2017 07:29 AM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Another note: until recently (the last 5-6 years), reproduction manufacturers DID NOT put the alignment notch on their lenses.

We were the first manufacturer to do so - and others followed.

All the major manufacturers that do add the notch also mark their lenses with a date.

----------------------------

The back of an original lens is also a giveaway as mentioned previously.

Look at the photo above this post. See how the 'white' is mottled and very thin. It will usually also be rough like sandpaper.

Modern lens frit is much smoother and the white is thicker and more opaque.

These are just general things to look for - but there is no better way to learn than to actually hold numerous lenses (original and reproduction) in you hands so you can see and feel the difference.

Later . . .

Jim

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Looking at the back of the Standard 100% original...Jim good to know about the notches on the repros did not know that...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved