Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6693 Sun Aug 18 2002 04:56 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have 3 unrestored gas pumps, Wayne 70, Wayne 605, and an AO Smith L3 to ship to California. I am here in Wisconsin. Yes the motors and pumps have been removed.

Ql. How should the pumps be prepared for shipping?

Q2. Any advice as to dealing with carriers? I have only used the US mail and UPS in the past.

Thanks for the help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#6694 Sun Aug 18 2002 09:44 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
I have shipped both domestically and internationally. By far, the cheapest is Forward Air Freight. They have terminals in most large cities and would require pickup on both ends at the terminal. They will require the pumps to be pallet mounted and have a wooden (1/8") plywood shell around the outside. Air Freighting MAY have an increased charge for anything over 64" tall due to the cargo door height so you can save money by crating them "coffin" style. I have shipped neon through Forward Air without them breaking it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE "COFFIN" METHOD FOR TRUCK SHIPPING !!! If you lay them down, the loader may place a heavy item on top of them that will collapse your crating. I have gotten good prices from an independent trucking terminal if you can find one who understands the pumps are nonfunctioning (no hazmat) and unrestored, therefore do not pose a risk to his trucks. IF YOU are willing to accept any minimal damage, they may not require they be crated (remove cranks, sight glasses, etc. fasten the computer to the floor of the pallet. Other wise tall pumps like the wayne 70 are very top heavy once they are gutted). I recently shipped a restored pump direct air to Zurich for about $400. You can ship a pump most anywhere in the US by Forward Air for around $200 or less.
If you need advice on crating, send me an email.
Larry

larry ivy
#6695 Mon Aug 19 2002 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Call me in the evening and I'll give you a trucker's name. He seldom requires crating...
Ron Scobie
651-653-6503

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved