Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
I'm starting a resto on a Bennett 810 visible and would like to be able to operate the handle but the pump is stuck solid. Do you guys have any suggestions on breaking it free.
Thought about pouring in a good amount of Kroil or the acetone/ATF blend and letting it soak awhile. Any success stories out there?
How far does the handle swing on a working visible pump (+/- 45 degrees???), or just one direction???. I've never operated one.
I'm new to petroliana but have been into old cars for years. Thanks for your help.
-Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
E
E
Try Free All Penetrating Oil. Spay in pump inlet and outlet- if possible. Let it soak. Then work pump back and forth. Might have to take apart. You can buy at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mike,
My American visible was stuck solid like yours. One mine, the pump was stuck where the shaft the handle attaches to goes into the pump body. Here's what I did to free it up - first, I heated the pump body right in the area where the shaft goes in as hot as I could get it, then sprayed with water to quench it and bust loose the rust. Second, I lubed the pump cylinder with vaseline to keep the piston moving smoothly in the bore. Third, I soaked the area around the shaft with Kroil on the inside and outside, attached the handle and very gradually worked the handle back and forth, increasing the distance a little at a time, and it eventually freed up. It's still a bit on the stiff side but I'll hit it with more Kroil and keep working on it. It's free though.

BrianH

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved