Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DWSheffer #704096 Thu Feb 08 2018 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
No problem John, I sometimes find it difficult to articulate thoughts in writing and get a point perfectly across, even after reading it over several times before posting.
I think the majority of us qualify as pickers to an extent, as I like to save as much history as I can, petro or non-petro. I love the feeling of walking into a 100 year old barn or garage on a local farmstead, not knowing what could be around the corner......

I know the exact feeling you're talking about. I always say "the fun is in the hunt".
I can't tell you how many pumps I have bought over the years where people have told me they were going to scrap them. If someone wants to call me a picker because of that more power to it.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Craig Osbeck #704100 Thu Feb 08 2018 12:10 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
You guys can certainly be entertaining.

Randy
RandyM #704103 Thu Feb 08 2018 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by RandyM

I've always said there are three kinds of people in the world:
People that Make things happen......
People that Watch things happen.....
People that say "What the hell happened?".....

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Craig Osbeck #704118 Thu Feb 08 2018 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One guy I noticed who has stepped up since DB passed is Jack Sim. He had pledged to do so after DB's passing, and he has. Thank you Jack...

My apologies to the others who have stepped up as well, but I am not on as much as before (life and work are getting in the way), and his was the name I was noticing.

Still a great site, well managed by Jim Potts who works hard to make it better all the time...

Craig Osbeck #704124 Thu Feb 08 2018 07:14 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Does it seem to anyone else that interest in the hobby is maybe slipping a little, especially among some of the older collectors? I have been collecting for around 25 years personally so I might qualify for that category. I still buy whenever I find a decent deal which has admittedly gotten much harder, especially these days where the tv shows has brought guys out of the woodwork that are only interested in making a quick buck. I also sell, and have done so successfully on this website. At this stage of my collecting I have two choices; quit buying or continue to buy when opportunity presents itself, but take something off the wall and sell it when I do. I enjoy the hunt. I enjoy wheeling and dealing. It's all part of this hobby or most any hobby for that matter.
The thing that bothers me at least here of late is when I run across something that I don't know about, and post a question here regarding value, rarity or whether real or fake, I either get no answer or a smart*** answer. I fail to understand this and can only surmise that because I post things on here for sale I have been pegged a "picker" and basically get the silent treatment. I hope I'm wrong about that because nothing could be farther from the truth. Most of us in the hobby are to some degree a "picker". How many collectors here have not at one time or another made great finds, purchased items at good prices and sold something for a profit along the way? Don't get me wrong, I don't support the individual that is out there trying to shaft some old-timer by buying his valuable pieces for nothing and then trying to gouge buyers by attempting to flip for a fabulous profit. That behavior will be repaid in spades at some point. I believe in Karma. If I'm asking a question about value because I'm not sure what to ask for the item when/if I sell it so what? It might be something I bought in 1995 for $50 and I simply don't know what I should ask for it today. If someone is interested in the piece, what's stopping them from sending a PM and asking me about it? I make every attempt to be fair when I sell and the fact is there is not one single piece in my collection that I wouldn't sell for fair market value. At the end of the day it's just stuff and people are more important.
If somebody, regardless of who they are asks a question about value, rarity, or whatever, and if I have the answer, I'm going to give it to them happily without expecting anything in return. Do unto others as you would like done unto you. Like I said, I've dealt with numerous great folks on here, made some new friends and I visit the site daily. I hope the hobby and this website stays strong regardless of the changes taking place within the hobby.

Old Racer #704141 Fri Feb 09 2018 07:56 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted by Old Racer
Originally Posted by RandyM

I've always said there are three kinds of people in the world:
People that Make things happen......
People that Watch things happen.....
People that say "What the hell happened?".....

grin grin

Yeah, I guess that would apply to the mundane and unimportant things in life as well. whistle

Randy
pkhammer #704152 Fri Feb 09 2018 11:50 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by pkhammer
Does it seem to anyone else that interest in the hobby is maybe slipping a little, especially among some of the older collectors? I have been collecting for around 25 years personally so I might qualify for that category. I still buy whenever I find a decent deal which has admittedly gotten much harder, especially these days where the tv shows has brought guys out of the woodwork that are only interested in making a quick buck. I also sell, and have done so successfully on this website. At this stage of my collecting I have two choices; quit buying or continue to buy when opportunity presents itself, but take something off the wall and sell it when I do. I enjoy the hunt. I enjoy wheeling and dealing. It's all part of this hobby or most any hobby for that matter.
The thing that bothers me at least here of late is when I run across something that I don't know about, and post a question here regarding value, rarity or whether real or fake, I either get no answer or a smart*** answer. I fail to understand this and can only surmise that because I post things on here for sale I have been pegged a "picker" and basically get the silent treatment. I hope I'm wrong about that because nothing could be farther from the truth. Most of us in the hobby are to some degree a "picker". How many collectors here have not at one time or another made great finds, purchased items at good prices and sold something for a profit along the way? Don't get me wrong, I don't support the individual that is out there trying to shaft some old-timer by buying his valuable pieces for nothing and then trying to gouge buyers by attempting to flip for a fabulous profit. That behavior will be repaid in spades at some point. I believe in Karma. If I'm asking a question about value because I'm not sure what to ask for the item when/if I sell it so what? It might be something I bought in 1995 for $50 and I simply don't know what I should ask for it today. If someone is interested in the piece, what's stopping them from sending a PM and asking me about it? I make every attempt to be fair when I sell and the fact is there is not one single piece in my collection that I wouldn't sell for fair market value. At the end of the day it's just stuff and people are more important.
If somebody, regardless of who they are asks a question about value, rarity, or whatever, and if I have the answer, I'm going to give it to them happily without expecting anything in return. Do unto others as you would like done unto you. Like I said, I've dealt with numerous great folks on here, made some new friends and I visit the site daily. I hope the hobby and this website stays strong regardless of the changes taking place within the hobby.

Totally agree!
First off,I would like to share I'm a newer collector(about 18 years now)Notice I said collector!...........
I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on a single sign,globe ,etc.BUT....what I do buy I am very interested in!I want to learn all about the item,so I do some on-line research.That's what you do right?I have books,they are outdated and can only help so much.So off I go to OG or FB groups to hopefully get help.
I have reached for help to,I'll steal a term from another poster here on OG,a celebrity in our hobby to buy a book he wrote.Must have been having a bad day that day.Granted the book is great and I'm glad I bought it,but would refrain from contacting him again.
On another occasion with another celebrity,I asked in a FB group about a Standard white crown globe I bought,and soon had the post deleted due to being to common(this was his reasoning)(BTW this was my first globe and I LOVE IT even if it is common!lol!)
They always say,"you don't want to meet your hero's"!
So bottom line,I do what research I can on-line and move on.I don't want to poke you og OG'ers and be a bother.I lurk here and hope to learn things as they pop up.So post all your wisdom for the next generation!If you take it with you ,it'll be buried in the dirt!
As for the picker subject,best way to tell is by how much they REALLY want to learn about a certain item.Collectors want just about every detail there is to be known,pickers want the minimum so they can buy it cheap and/or sell it high and move on.
I sell duplicate items and could care less if the next owner makes money,as I sold it for what I wanted and am happy at that.

Craig Osbeck #704157 Fri Feb 09 2018 01:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There's one thing you can always count on is change. Our hobby has changed over the years and I'm sure many long for the good old days. People change their interests and how much time and money they are willing to commit.

Remember just a few years ago, TV had broadcast shows and cable/satellite shows. Now, there are so many ways to get video content, it can be confusing, with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Roku and many more. People are cutting the cord to their phone company and cable TV provider. I feel like Oldgas.com is one of many choices that a petroliana collector or vendor has to buy/sell, learn about and share hobby interests. Oldgas.com will continue to refine the way we can serve the petro hobby. Our members are the ones who decide how much they want to share info and help one another. This recent upgrade has made it much easier to share photos and search for previously posted info and pictures. I'll do my part to help our online community continue to be a helpful and enjoyable place to interact for Petroliana enthusiasts.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
Craig Osbeck #704172 Fri Feb 09 2018 04:53 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Jim, your efforts are greatly appreciated on my end. Although I only occasionally participate in discussions, I still consider this site to be the go-to place for petroliana-related info, and manage to check in at least twice a day. Joe

Craig Osbeck #704195 Fri Feb 09 2018 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Facebook is a cheeseburger, Oldgas is a steak. Thank you Jim !

Craig Osbeck #704211 Fri Feb 09 2018 11:01 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
First I would like to say this site is first class . Knowledgeable members with a wealth of expierience. Always helpful & eventually you will get your answer . Quite often I felt quilty after asking a question after searching and not finding the answer on my own & someone eventually steps ups and answers my question. Or I did not word my search just right . I didn’t use the correct terminology in the search not being knowledgeable enough et’c. I think people forget that all the members are not retired like me and others and have jobs, family responsibilities that do not allow them to spend as much time on here as others. I have always had nothing but good experiences buying and selling and gathering knowledge. I cannot say that about other sites that I belong to where sellers and buyers and don’t always keep,their word The newer venues leave a lot to be desired . New picker wanna be’s i label them , that are only in it for the quick buck and really do not view the hobby as true collectors do. I have been helped by so many members and thank them for their time and effort to respond and contribute their knowledge . One of the best if not the best sites I have joined . Thanks Jim for your efforts and your contributions to the hobby .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved