#705472 Wed Feb 28 2018 06:53 PM
A
aajf Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Hello,
Great site and great members. I am trying to see what color code green POWDER COAT members have used when doing their National A-38 pump in a green powder coat finish. Appreciate all your help. Andrew

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
aajf #705475 Wed Feb 28 2018 08:16 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Tough to pick but here is a site that could help you

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors

A
aajf Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks for the link.

A
aajf Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Hi to All,
I am still having a hard time finding the powder coating codes for the porcelain GREEN Flying A used on it's porcelain National pumps. Any ideas?? Thanks, Andrew

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure if your familiar with powder coating, but it is difficult to match powder colors, it is not like paint. Most powder coating companies have a color pallet you can pick from, but they may not match. The company I use for frames offers about 75 colors, but won’t do matching. You can have certain powder companies do it, but it is usually very expensive.

Here is a quote from a company on-line:

“Unlike paint, the chemistry with powder is very complex, which sometimes does not allow for subtle changes in tone or shade. We offer no guarantee of exact matches.”

One other thing is it is an electric process which heats the metal. If you use any filler it may melt away and any subtleties in the metal such as scratches will show through.

I use powder on my frames, but if your doing the panels, you may have way better luck with paint, wether it be base/clear or enamel. You can match it and it’ll be smooth.

If it’s a national 38, it was originally porcelain or paint from the factory. If it’s porcelain that is a completely different animal from powder.

Maybe you already know all this, but just trying to help if you didn’t.

This is my opinion only. Good luck,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Mar 01 2018 05:59 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
A
aajf Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thank you so much Steve for your input. I do really appreciate it. My A-38 was never the porcelain version. I completely understand what you are saying, my friend owns his own powder coating business and is basically sand blasting and powder coating my pump for free. He has acess to all different vendors of powder. We just thought we would ask oldgas

aajf #705545 Fri Mar 02 2018 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oh cool, he should be able to get a custom color matched for you. I don’t know the code unfortunately. Hopefully someone here will. Does he want to do some of my pumps for free too? grin

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Mar 02 2018 02:57 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
aajf #705561 Fri Mar 02 2018 10:21 AM
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
I can deliver mine to Whatcom County for FREE powder coat jobs!!

Collect UNION 76 items only. Contact me if you have any interesting items for sale.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved