Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#706606 Wed Mar 21 2018 07:23 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Just wanted to reach out and get to know the community, I have a lot to learn and recently got into the oil can collecting when I purchased a business that yielded a find of vintage oil cans. I know some of you have seen a few of the cans I’ve sold on eBay, oil cans with one side grinded and painted over. I have always loved all things automotive and know little of the history but it’s become a new desire. The business I purchased has a lot of rich history and was the first service station in Flagstaff which is neat. The original owners son had provided me pictures of the stations beginings and I just love the history behind it. Been very interested in signs now for my man room where I have the beginning of my collection starting to display.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Welcome to Oldgas! So did the son share what the grind and paint job was all about... Lot of us was wondering. The sought after cans done very well for you, just think what they might have went for with all good sides.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everyone, the son had said his father kept close inventory on everything but did not know of any other reason for the grinding and paint other then inventory. These cans were placed in the roof of the building around the time of the war, we assume due to metal demand. Of what I have the majority of the cans are practically worthless because of this grinding/painting on the faces which is incredible disturbing. However the very fact that these are around is exciting to me as this is a piece of history that has brought a new perspective and a new hobby. Just recently bought a house and finally have my one man cave to display my loves and interests so I will be looking to learn as much as possible as I pursue more displayable items that I potentially can buy or trade for.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to OldGas!

Braden Splichal

A
OP Offline
A
Trying to upload a picture of an Alemite “special high speed” oil can of mine that I have not found any pictures of on the internet and was curious if these are super rare or what the history is on this can. Love the way it displays on my wall but didn’t know what made it “special high speed”. I found a lot of neat information on my Macmillan ring-free oil can but not much on this Alemite

2C7D15BE-76F4-44F1-A882-069177A1D3C7.jpeg

A
OP Offline
A
Sorry I don’t know why it showed up sideways, must have missed something

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
High Speed equals higher temps.which equals higher grade weight oil. Probably marked 50 weight on top of can?

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
A
OP Offline
A
It says 20w on top and that makes sense. I found on the internet that Alemite is still in business and manufactures oil drums and pumps still which is neat. Also found some neat looking signs online that had the “special high speed” on them. Just a neat looking can to me but couldn’t find a more accurate timeline of this cans production or even another picture of one like it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved