Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Since I have been priced out of buying anything anymore. What would be the best way to go about this? I do not have a high dollar collection but still would like as much as I can get. It consists of signs globes, cans and a few pumps. please do not message me asking what I have since I am just starting to consider this and have not made a decision as to what im going to do. Thanks for any advice you could give...

Last edited by nochevys; Tue May 29 2018 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Got Socony???

Tom
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
best is do shows will take longer to sell but you get all the money. auction is 30% plus and advertising fees. yes some auctions bring more than your asking price but it is a gamble. now your buying back because its going to cheap and paying 10% plus for fees. not sure there's a perfect answer but someday I will be in your predicament.

Last edited by Tankar; Tue May 29 2018 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being priced out of buying items is not the end of the world! I have curtailed my rampant spending by an awful lot, yet I am able to still enjoy the occasional find and buy it, but I try to keep aware of trends, and values by following a number of different sites. I really enjoy the spring farm auctions, because of the chance of finding something rare that has been tucked away for ages!
I still enjoy sitting in my shop and gazing at all the different items and the memories they hold for me. Having to adjust your spending habits can be even more rewarding in these times of higher prices! When you do find a treasure that's in your budget range, you really feel as though you have accomplished something.
This hasn't answered your question but perhaps it has given you another thought process to use while considering your future path. Good luck, whatever path you choose!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Hello Tom. You've been to my place and have seen my modest collection. I'm 77 and my two sons aren't particularly interested in my stuff. So, after mulling the situation over, like you are doing now, I decided a few years back to not do an auction, or piecemeal on Facebook or Craigslist. Obvious reasons for each of them. So, I've been lucky enough to find 3 to 4 local TRUSTED newer collectors that are buying from me at reasonable prices. They're happy that they have a trusted source to buy from, and I don't have to advertise or deliver my items. It's been a win win for us all. They are happy that they can grow their collections, like I did "once upon a time". I still have more to let go, but I won't sell to flippers just to get a few more dollars. Besides, I've gained some great friendships in the process. If you're coming back my way some day, stop in for a visit again. I just might have something that you can't resist! Sam

Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Yeah Tom I got into this hobby much too late to have acquired any of my items at the bargain basement pricing level. Like most of us on OG, there was a triggering event in my life that resulted in me reverting back to memories of those "good old days" when things were made right here in the USA that featured incredible engineering and built with a commitment to longevity. When I look at pieces in my collection, I do not focus on what I paid and what it is worth, I remember the enjoyment of the hunt and the friendships that have remained after the sale was completed. There are several OG members that have tag line phrases on their posts and several of them have helped me keep my perspective, thought I would share a few of those: "It's all just stuff" and "The joy is in the hunt". When I get to the decision point that you are at, I believe I will retain some of the more memorable pieces rather than the most expensive ones. You never know when that petroliana bug may return for a second bite. Enjoy the journey whatever route you decide. Neil

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All great ideas but above all take your time, It isn't costing you any money to hold on to what you have and besides values keep increasing. Try to find buyers you can trust and avoid shipping hazels if you can. I know I don't buy what I use to and I stay away from insane sign prices all together. Good luck with what ever direction you decide to take.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is interesting to me because I'm sort of in the same position, age and cost of items. The good news is I have been down sizing over the past two years but still have quiet a lot of stuff. I went from a 150 pumps down to 80. Kept the ones I like. Kids are not interested in this stuff so I will be moving all the other stuff slowly.

I never thought that time would catch up with me but here I am.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Before liquidating your collection maybe consider this. With higher prices now I see more and more collectors buying and selling items now. Rather than pass on an item that you know has a few bucks left on the back end but isn't of interest to your collection, buy it to resell. It keeps a person involved in the hobby and return the profit back into your collection by purchasing what you like.

Daryl
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
We will all be in that position someday, and my day is coming. Think of it daily as I have no room and stuff is in crates. I am thinking of buying land in another area and this could help. Thing that hurts is that I have had stuff for a long time and just just can't hide money from a sale of this type. Having to pay taxes on my work is very frustrating, and yet if I do nothing then nothing will be done. Selling little at a time seems the smart way to do things for some, others choose to sell in a full scale auction. Auctions work for some if there are really high end things and lots of items to attract all sorts of buyers not just the one or two globe deals.
Just saw a 36 ACD on ebay this morning at $50,000 and it has a bid, I am way out of the picture now it seems, but the fun of restoring something is where it is at for me. It is the work, the progress, and the finish that I like.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved