Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I was sending an email to Mike Marone in Odell, Illinois today, and it bounced back. We've exchanged messages over the years, but it has been quite awhile since we touched base. I don't know why, but I then Googled his name, and up came his obituary and photo. Mike passed away on March 10, 2018. He was quite the old car hobby guy, and also had a nice collection of GM, AC, and gas/oil signs to go with his cars.

Some years back, Mike was restoring an old gas station in Odell (I think) on old Route 66 to house his collections. He was a first-class carpenter and craftsman, so I'm sure the project came out great. Odell also has a restored Standard station that was done by the city to promote the town's Route 66 heritage. It's very well done.

Does anyone know any details about Mike's restored station? He was a first-class guy, and it would be interesting to learn more about the gas station project he was so interested in. Thanks. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Very sad to hear about this.He was usually one of the Sunday AM early bird buyers @ Peotone Gas held 2X a year.
Always enjoyed talking with him...R.I.P. Mike.
http://www.duffyfuneralhome.com/obituary/michael-marrone

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John,
I did not know Mike, even though my hometown of Pontiac is only 10 miles down the road. Very sad to hear about this. This may be the gas station you are referring to. It's in Odell on Route 66. It was originally a Sinclair station but when it was restored in the 1990's it was converted to a Standard station. A very nice stop on old 66.

BrianH

20170701_140250.jpg 20170701_140424.jpg

Brian H

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved