Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi All,

I need some help identifying some mundane items. If you're bored and want to test your knowledge on these items - go for it. It would also help me out, so 'thank you' in advance.

Here are some questions I have. I will try to keep the questions in order of the pictured items:

1) What year/era is the American final filter from?
2) What is the unusual belt for? It's a bunch of little pieces riveted together. Is it even petro related? [28"]
3) Is the plastic blue oil bottle spout brand specific? or is it just plastic junk?
4) What pump does the blackout face plate go on? I saw the recent thread about a similar plate, but couldn't find this plate in use in Jack's book. Please note it is for a 4 wheel computer. [8 1/2" x 10 3/8"]
5) What the heck is the metal piece in the center of the picture? Is it even petro related? It has a spring in the center and rotates back and forth.
6) What pump do the square sight glasses go on. Please note they are plastic. [3 3/4" x 4" square with a 2 1/2" diameter bubble]
7) What pump would the red plastic Shell insert go on? Maybe a Wayne 511 or 440 top? [3 5/8" x 22 1/4"]
8) What did the Sinclair ID tag/plate come off of? It has a tank number and an order number on it. I'm guessing an old vintage 5 gallon can. [2 1/2" x 5"]

Please note that I am asking your advice because I might be selling these items in the near future. So please don't be mad if you see them up for sale soon, after I ask for your advice. I know many of these items have little, to no value, but I wanted to ask before I throw anything away. I have also checked numerous websites and these are the items that I am at a dead end on.

Thank you all for any help. I appreciate it,
Steve

DE8139F3-44D1-4EF7-9D89-2CDF239821F4.jpeg 1A18D67F-64FC-453D-8B9F-40068FED5124.jpeg 1DC0B4A3-8883-491F-8A2A-538F47650E64.jpeg EA0746F2-0C80-4B46-B983-2BA40F240AFA.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jul 29 2018 09:53 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

My opinion on the Sinclair tag is that it is a bulk plant tank tag.
It is for a 15,000 gallon vertical tank that was # 24 at the location built is 1924 & certified / calibrated Feb. 1925.

Question #5: Looks like what is called a molasses valve but often used for heavy oils because they don't drip when shut off.

Dave

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
The "metal piece" in the center of the picture is a drum valve. It screws into the bung on top of the drum. Set the drum on it's side and dispense. It may have a bronze face on the body behind the "gate". It looks to have a place to put a padlock so it cannot be opened. Usually used on viscous liquids. I would put a value of a few dollars on it.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply guys. I still wonder if those plastic sight glasses went to anything important. I've never seen plastic used on anything of that importance. Like I said these came from an old oil jobber, so I assume they are all gas/oil/service station related.

Thanks again for the help,
Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those plastic pieces go to a very early Wayne 511 blend pump. They had 2 sight glasses on the side, much like a 505. But unlike a 505 that had just one the 511 had 2 that sat side by side. These are just covers that went over the sight glass.....why? I have never figured that out, makes no sense. I would post a picture of the top but I'm taking the long way home from IG.

Tom.

Last edited by tbuckles; Sat Aug 04 2018 06:17 AM.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No need for a picture. Your description was great, Thank you very much Tom.

So now I just wonder what the belt was used for and if the blue oil spout was brand specific. Sunoco maybe?? And what year was the final filter used (this one is just for personal knowledge, but I'd have to imagine it was a 70's thing from the looks). The belt is getting closer to the garbage can, but I hate throwing something out, only to find out later that it is a hard-to-find part.

-Steve

P.S. I may need another part thrown on the pile you're bringing to Dixie for me. I might need a door for a tall 2-ad glass 39. I'll give you a call.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Aug 04 2018 10:00 PM.

W
W
Originally Posted by Speedracer

And what year was the final filter used (this one is just for personal knowledge, but I'd have to imagine it was a 70's thing from the looks).

-Steve

I worked at a Standard station in Chicago 1971-75 and we had the Final Filters on the pumps at that time.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great info Mike. Thanks for sharing. Finally figured out this box of stuff, thanks to all of you Oldgas members. smile

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved