Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There have been a few asking me how and why I transport visibles and I thought this would be a good topic for the newer folks.
How do you transport the pumps you buy and why? Not shipping but transporting.
This is mainly for visibles but please include how you prefer to do it with 6 and 5 foot pumps if you feel the urge also.
Thanx for all your input!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave at an Iowa Gas show a few years ago I saw all sorts of methods from standing them up to laying them down. The one that stuck with me was when the Hops showed up with a flat bed trailer and pumps laying on old mattresses. I made some sort of joke about the pumps travelling in comfort. They said they've never had a problem with the metal or glass. They are appropriately cinched tight of course.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The last two unrestored Gilbarco 96’s I picked up I laid down flat in the box of my truck with a 4x4 piece of wood to keep the sight glasses off the bed. I took the doors off the side that was facing down and set them on top with a couple straps over top. The motors were removed so it was easy to lay them down. Once they are restored I prefer to transport them standing up strapped to a pallet for 5’ pumps or in a enclosed trailer strapped to the side for 6’ pumps. Here’s a picture of a 5’ wrapped and strapped to a pallet to be shipped to Edmonton. I put the doors in the back seat of the truck wrapped in foam.

8C76ED51-A388-43B8-A430-CEAFCB7D865D.jpeg
Last edited by AlbertaNorthStar; Sun Aug 05 2018 09:09 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Some I've moved around...

IMG_20180722_173406.jpg IMG_20180712_171926.jpg DSCF3889a.jpg

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I usually just lay an unrestored visible down on the floor of my car trailer and screw chocks to the floor to keep it from shifting. Moved units from Western Kansas to Severn, Maryland with no damage. When I move a restored visible, I have an 8 foot wooden saddle where I lag the base down while standing. The neck settles into a padded brace and is strapped tight. Then lay it down and chock it in place same as above. Never any issues. Have done it this way for 25 years. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I bought a Wayne 615 visible and transported it to my home in my Toyota Tacoma 5 foot bed...a distance of 150 miles.

First I placed it (laying down) with the glass cylinder top of the pump at front and the base sticking out of the rear of the truck (with the truck bed down). That way when I got home I was able to lift/slide it out with the base pointed toward the garage floor. The keys were two fold. First of all we used two large “railroad tie” like boards to rest the pump on. The boards were covered by moving blankets. The boards were strategically placed so that they did not rub against any vulnerable spots on the pump.

Secondly, I invested in some “heavy duty” nylon tie-downs. I placed a moving blanket (multiple folds) between the front wall of the truck and the top of the visible. Then I tied the pump down very tight (it was going no where). I left the gas cylinder intac. It is original and I feared breaking it trying to remove it for transport. The glass cylinder was touching nothing. I transported mine with the skins off...it made it much easier to handle.

Also, you probably need 4 guys to load and unload for safety sake. When we got home we carefully lifted and moved the pump out of the truck and the was able to raise it upright. Carefully we rocked it back and forth to get it into its exact location.

Steve

6D9B94D7-B86E-4D02-8177-26C6AF27D430.jpeg
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted by gasmansgp
I usually just lay an unrestored visible down on the floor of my car trailer and screw chocks to the floor to keep it from shifting. Moved units from Western Kansas to Severn, Maryland with no damage. When I move a restored visible, I have an 8 foot wooden saddle where I lag the base down while standing. The neck settles into a padded brace and is strapped tight. Then lay it down and chock it in place same as above. Never any issues. Have done it this way for 25 years. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

I hauled a fry 17 that Paul restored for me in the wooden saddle he built for the trip. 769 miles not a promblem,the only dumb thing I done was taking it apart a piece at a time when I got home instead of keeping it whole,
I hauled this pump unrestored from Waxahachie Tx. back to TN. then to Maryland, 1576 miles laid down in pickup with tire under it just below the bottom plate of cylinder.

I have to vote laid down. Think you would have to have tall sided trailer like Tom Buckles to haul them standing. You need something enclosed or at least 5ft. tall to strap them too.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have hauled visibles both ways. The easiest for me was standing the pump up on my trailer. I have actually drilled holes through the 2x6 trailer deck bolting the Pump down with it’s intended bolt holes and proper bolt sizes with washers and nuts on the bottom side. I have hauled them this way 1800 miles with no damage. I always use straps on the body in addition just for peace of mind .

Rob

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved