Next Thread
Print Thread
#717568 Thu Oct 04 2018 02:39 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So who owns the signage on a station that is running right now today? If a station switches brands, Does the station owner own the signage or the corporation?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Steve, It is my understanding that the jobber/corp. brand owns the signage. I do restorations for the biggest jobber in Baltimore and at any time, you can find signs of the many brands that they deal in, stacked in their storage lot. The signs are the lighted cans with plastic lenses and the pump canopies with vinyl graphics. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Actually they are owned by the oil company, but they usually don't want them back so are either left with the jobber or the sign co. that removes them

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
nuts66 #717593 Thu Oct 04 2018 08:48 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
In my little bit of experience with this with bigger sign companies...I have been told by the sign company that they have to take the signs back and destroy them. I have offered the guys taking them down money and have gotten the same response. This has been when dealing with a gas station that is switching brands and talking about newer signs (within the last 20 years, plastic type signs).

It’s still had for me to believe that the guys get back to their shop and litterally destroy and dispose of the signs but I have no way of knowing.

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Hmm... the reason I was asking is because a Sunoco station near me recently switched to Shell and the main sign was a nice smaller version. Would love to get my hands on it. I stopped in but the owner wasn't there.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve, It never hurts to ask!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I work at a Ford dealership and around the late 90's Ford was rebranding dealerships. I tried to get the old signs but they told me they had to destroy the signs and then take pictures of them broken up and send them to Ford or the sign company. I finally got them to give me half of the Lincoln sign we had. They said they would picture one half of it broken up and when they left they would leave the other side sitting on the side of the building. They did just that. This is a plastic sign and it has a date, dealership name and a number etched in the lip. Pretty cool. Here is that sign I saved.

lincolnsign.jpg
Last edited by keithia; Fri Oct 05 2018 07:38 PM.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Any one have an idea or knowledge of why the signs have to be destroyed? I’m sure there is a good reason. Part of me thinks that it is just free advertising for them down the road.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Originally Posted by Jhaas63
Any one have an idea or knowledge of why the signs have to be destroyed? I’m sure there is a good reason. Part of me thinks that it is just free advertising for them down the road.

Every company has standards you must meet to sell their brand such as bathrooms ,square feet ,etc. Signage is part of that also, if they didn't destroy signage it would be just another avenue to loose control of your branding requirements. If you ever open a business carrying other name brand products you will figure it out real fast as to the hoops they want you to jump through before you get their blessing.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved