Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kevo335 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Today I scored my first gas pump. It’s got a great history that relates to my career and looks great setup in my house. I’ve always wanted a pump and I’m glad I had the chance to take this one home. The problem is that it is missing the top cover. How hard would it be to find that piece? I’m not looking to do a ground up restoration, just get all the outside pieces to make it look complete. I’ve checked eBay and googled some restoration sites but to no avail. If anybody could guide me I the right direction in finding one, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!
-Kevin

D76E0ECD-84BD-4E9C-8D94-6C0C1DFCE2F3.jpeg

Always looking for Texaco signs, cans, and any other old Texaco treasures!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Please post the Model Number and the Serial number.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Kevin,

I believe you have a National C-38 pump similar to the one pictured in my collection on the left. The missing top is usually referred to as a "step" top. There is also a smooth stainless top that goes on these pumps but the step top looks better. It's hard to tell from your picture but it looks like your missing the bracket that the top would bolt too. Step tops are hard to find and can cost $300 and upwards. I do not have extra step tops but do have some smooth stainless tops for sale.

IMG_1737.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I think the top might bolt onto the top via the straight posts that are just visible on the left edge of the photo...can you post a better photo of the top of the pump?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Kevo335 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a picture of the serial and model number straight from The plate.

C9339E28-2A55-46BE-95B3-452179924C89.jpeg

Kevo335 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yes sir! The C38. The step top does look better, I agree. I would like to find that one but for now the stainless top wouldn’t be the worst thing. I’d like to see it complete. I’ve attached a picture of the top so you can see if it’s missing any parts. Thanks!

FD5F9A6D-6485-4237-BC34-E32F56DE4E4D.jpeg B6AB50EA-8977-40A6-8DA5-1939E3CCE1D7.jpeg

Kevo335 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I posted a couple top photos. I think you’re right, those posts gotta before something. Did this pump have a globe?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a page from the sales brochure.
Ron

C38.gif

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The C-38 was introduced in May of 1938, Production continued until January, 1942 when all production of my gas pumps was stopped because of WWII. Production was resumed in February, 1946 and continued until at least 1949 (information as to when the last one was made is not available). As the ID tag states your pump was made in 1946.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nothing appears to be missing and it looks like you have a good solid pump. Gulfiend, whose eyes are far better than mine, was absolutely correct. The four vertical posts are used to hold down the step top. There are two types of step tops, one has a globe ring and one does not. Most pumps came with the light for a globe, and as indicated in your photos, the porcelain fixture was turned down if the top had no globe ring or was the sooth stainless type.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
If you're going to go for a globe top, then finding an original Marine White globe would be the most expensive "part" you will need to complete it, lol!
Nice pump though, love the original state of this one.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by DWSheffer
If you're going to go for a globe top, then finding an original Marine White globe would be the most expensive "part" you will need to complete it, lol!
Nice pump though, love the original state of this one.
Darin

...agreed...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I might have a spare stainless steel top with the globe holder that fits an Erie parts pump that I have. I've never tried to fit it on a pump like the smooth SS tops attach. Anyone know if the stair step top will attach in the same manner as the smooth tops?

I cannot tell if the four posts are threaded for bolts.

Last edited by 1PetroFan; Mon Dec 10 2018 12:08 PM. Reason: CANNOT SEE IF POSTS ARE THREADED
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The 4 posts are threaded to accept a top that screws down through the globe ring. If you have a stainless step top with 4 tabs on the bottom than the top fits an Erie 129 which is a totally different pump. Smooth stainless tops fit in a manner which is unique to the tops and utilize two spacers.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Is that a MarineWhite decal or the actual pump plate? If so, rare pump plate to have..

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved