Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
J-Dubb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm new to this world but love everything about it as my dad was a shade tree mechanic and I grew up fixing cars with him.

I came a cross this little GULF electric wall clock (still works) that has me confused. It looks fake because there is the "Service" logo borrowed from United Motors on the clock face as well as the GULF logo. When I look at it it seems old-ish (late '50s/early 60's). It has an old power cord, the box around the clock is 1/4" wood, mitered corners, painted flat white. The face is shiny paper mounted to 1/8" fiber board and then attached to the wood box with brass brads, well made for a fake. It's ~12"x12" in size. Has anyone seen one of these before or any insight on what the back story is? I like it regardless of the authenticity, but I want to understand what I have.

Gulf Clock - Face.jpg Gulf Clock - Back.jpg Gulf Clock - Issues.jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Thu Jan 10 2019 02:22 PM. Reason: edit to put item name in title
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck in your quest for information.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you likely have a 'not new' clock that has had its face replaced with a made-up face, using Gulf and United Motors design elements...no collector value there, possibly some decorator interest...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
J
J-Dubb Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks so much for your insight. I tend to agree with you, the face just isn't right. The funny thing is that whoever made the face, went to a lot of trouble as it is screen printed and not digitally printed. I'm guessing by the wear that the face is 20+ years old while the wooden box/clock is older. Could have been an attempt by someone to rip-off novice collectors. It could also be that a local dealer had it made for his own shop but that is less likely. Thanks again!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved