Print Thread
#723614 Wed Jan 23 2019 11:37 AM
J
Jhaas63 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I read a thread here recently about members moving their petro they have displayed outside to the inside. I have a small commercial building in town I own and have been kicking around putting an old AO Smith 483 Pump outside along with a Goodyear tire stand and tire. I have been debating this because it would look so cool but I don’t want to really advertise what I have to thieves. The pump and stand are probably only worth $500-600 but it’s still $500-600! This stuff has gotten so valuable I just don’t think I will risk it. I have a Ford tailgate bench outside and I have been waiting for that to disappear.

Here is an article from yesterday out of Milwaukee about some lowlifes stealing petro and other antiques.

https://www.jsonline.com/picture-ga...;utm_medium=amp&utm_campaign=gallery

Watch your stuff closely guys.

Last edited by Jhaas63; Wed Jan 23 2019 11:38 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good thing Vern has that car in front of that Seeburg.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well if the thieves didn't know what was in the garage to steal, they do now...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Yeah, smart move to let the paper post 9 photos of every damn angle of the garage and property.....SMH!!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just upped my Insurance coverage and picked up 2 more sets of cameras for my buildings bringing the total to 17. And most I can view live shots and recordings right from my phone.

I advertise the Cameras on multiple signs around my property also.

I can only hope that it keeps and deters the thieves away!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some ballsy thieves, makes you wonder who is buying the stolen items off of the petroliana black market. For those like Mike that go the insurance route, what kinda costs do you look at to cover your collection and does the fact that a lot of it is probably pretty flammable factor in to costs or being denied coverage? Always been curious

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
RedHat #723625 Wed Jan 23 2019 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedHat
For those like Mike that go the insurance route, what kinda costs do you look at to cover your collection and does the fact that a lot of it is probably pretty flammable factor in to costs or being denied coverage? Always been curious

My building are covered for the replacement values like any other policy. As my collection grows and the values increase, I have just raised the personal property values in my policies. I also have coverage extended to cover items in my vehicles when at Auctions, Swap meets. Talk to your home owners Insurance Agent as I have State Farm and they have talked to underwriting many times to find all the coverage's I've needed as it's easier to know now that everything is covered than to find out later it isn't. LOL

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
All collectors should have insurance coverage......otherwise, you're obviously completely SOL in the event of a loss. The costs are minimal in relation to what this stuff is worth today.

I have asked my insurance provider about the issue of having oil cans in my collection that contain product and my concerns that they would try to deny coverage in the event of a fire because of them. (Although 98% are empty and that's how I prefer them, there are a few that I left intact.) He said that there was a limit of the amount of flammable/combustible materials you could have in a structure, but that it was a relatively large amount and I wouldn't be anywhere near the amount in my collection. I would look into this a bit more closely if someone collected hundreds of full quarts or other containers, just to be certain. I do believe though that flammable materials are more of a concern due to their lower flash points though and in large amounts would need to be properly contained. Just another reason to empty containers!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
RedHat #723633 Wed Jan 23 2019 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by RedHat
For those like Mike that go the insurance route, what kinda costs do you look at to cover your collection and does the fact that a lot of it is probably pretty flammable factor in to costs or being denied coverage? Always been curious

I use Collectibles Insurance Services, a broker for a number of underwriters. For mine, the cost comes to around 6% of collection value as the annual premium. Covers stuff on premises, in travel with you and in shipment by various carriers.
https://collectinsure.com/

I also have an alarm with motion activated cameras and lights, inside and out. System works even if power, phone and Internet are out. Not going to give specifics online, but it makes me feel better. One rusty pump is outside, visible from the road. It is bolted down and has all its heavy guts. It is wired and has a camera watching it.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That answers my questions perfectly guys, many thanks

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted by minuteman
Well if the thieves didn't know what was in the garage to steal, they do now...

Why would a news outlet even do that? Might as well hang another sign out there that says come and take it. Geez!

Terry Tramp

I'm interested in Deep Rock and Kerr McGee items especially if they are marked B.A. Tramp Oil

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved