Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#731321 Fri Jun 21 2019 12:23 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I am rebuilding a Wayne 60 Wide body. The V-R computer has some sort of covers that drop down and cover the numbers. That is the state it was in when I got it. I would like to get the covers to retract so that the numbers show. How do you do that? I have fiddled with the crank connection but haven't hit on the right combo to cause the covers to retract. Any help appreciated. Thx.

2019.02.16.P6.013.00 Wayne Model 60 Gas Pump.JPG 2019.05.10.I6.001.00 Wayne Model 60 Gas Pump.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The meter has to make its complete revolution back to a zero reset position for the covers to retract. There’s a good chance the thing is just rusted and stuck if it won’t turn freely. Put a screwdriver in the slot on one side where the crank turns it and try to turn it. It will only go one way so try both directions. There’s also a dog that has to trip as it goes by while resetting it to prevent it from turning backwards so it can’t turn that way if it’s past that point. The covers over the numbers are the last thing to flip back up after a complete rest so it may be almost there but is stuck. I usually soak the meter in a tub of some degreaser and Dawn to loosen all the dirt and then hose it is off good and blow it dry. After that I spray it down with WD40 and see if I can get it to break free and turn over. You just have to work with them sometimes and figure out what’s keeping them from cycling through. Yours doesn’t look too dirty so maybe you just need to try a little more force to turn it to a full reset. They can be a little stubborn but once they free up will usually turn easily. Hope this helps. Good luck.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Maybe this might help a little. http://petrolianacollectibles.com/pc-1.htm

Click on Veeder-Root.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rabbitman offered good tips. I found the best penetrating oil for these computers to "Free All" available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts, I can't stress enough how good this stuff is. Just think of it this way, every pivot point must be free.

For additional tips, go to my web site and you will find a Veeder Root repair manual that will walk you thru it
www.gaspumps.us

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe Y also posted some great videos on YouTube. Go to YouTube and type "Veeder Root 36" (about the 5th video down when I search) or "Veeder Root 56" (the first video when I search youtube) for some informational videos. I'm sure this will help you.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Jun 24 2019 09:24 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks to all for the feedback. I will give them a try. I was hoping to get the mechanism reset without lube BEFORE i attempted to put vinyl numbers on the number wheels - most are faded beyond recognition. I was thinking it might be good to install the vinyl first and then add any lube.

Thanks again for the help....

Barry

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved