Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#732767 Sat Jul 20 2019 03:22 PM
R
rahz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Greetings all - I am a new member and am looking forward to sharing information and learning more about restoring Gas Pumps - I picked up a Wayne Model80 from a junk shop for 100 dollars - It was originally a Mobilgas, but at one time the doors were painted blue - not sure why -
It was an original site glass pump, but then converted and site glasses removed - The only part missing is the hose return 'roller' mechanism - there is just a hole in the side where it bolted in.

Can anyone tell me how to break down the serial number to possibly help identify year? The ID tag says - SERIES 1BD - SERIAL NUMBER 103600 - NO. B 118700

My plan is to restore to Mobilgas, but with modified Mobilgas 'special' of red body and white doors -

Thanks for looking!

Rich Hover - Hudson Valley NY.

GP4.jpg GP3.jpg GP2.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Good luck with your restoration!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome to OG Rich Seems like many of us start with the Martin Schwartz/Wayne 80 pumps. From the information I have your pump was made between 1-1-47 and 10-31-48. Enjoy the journey. Neil

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rich,

Welcome.

What colors are the spinners in your pump?

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sell repro site glasses for the wayne 80 if you need them.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
R
rahz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you for the replies - T-way, there are no spinners left, all the site glass had been removed, including the inside piping - Also the hose rewind/roller mechanism was removed too -

It appears the complete pump was painted white, possibly as a base/primer color, then it was completely red - which i assume was when it was a Mobilgas pump - Then at some time a light blue was hand brushed on the doors, but
around the Mobilgas shields, leaving the outline on the door with red paint underneath -

This pump was exposed for a long time, and is badly faded on one side - The two faceplates are in decent shape, with just a few chips/defects - I have attached a new picture below - The numbers do roll over, and reset with the handle.

I have the original 'two bulb' lighting sockets and piping, along with a switch and what appears to be a rotary 'on/off' switch that sticks out through the top of one side panel - I assume this was to turn the lighting on and off -

This one did not come with a globe, but i will probably be adding one during restoration -

Rich H.

GP1.jpg
Closeup of faceplate -

Last edited by rahz28; Sun Jul 21 2019 02:55 PM.
R
rahz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Also, the 'contains lead' sign had been modified with some decals for 'Anti-knock' statements - So my guess is this pump was converted from the site glass operation to a later mode of operation, and the decals put over the Lead sign too -

GP5.jpg
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Your pump is using a four wheel computer. I would guess it was used in a commercial setting later in it's life? Maybe a trucking company to pump diesel refueling the rigs, as they take a lot more fuel than a normal pump of that era? The faceplates look to be factory made, not hacked up to fit? By the way, some MS/Wayne 80's did not have sight glass manifolds. They were plumbed direct and used faces with no holes for the glass. There are several examples on my site under "For Sale" Pumps. scroll down and have a look. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Sun Jul 21 2019 04:36 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have written a few articles about the M&S/Wayne 80 for CTO over the years. When the pump was introduced by M&S they offered 32 version of the pump. After M&S was acquired by Wayne, Wayne decided to continue making the exact pump with no changes. They started making the 32 versions, but around 1964 they eliminated nine of the versions. When Wayne first started making the pumps the ID tag read M&S/Wayne 80. A few years later the name M&S was discontinued.

Your pump was made in February, 1954. It is the MODEL 80 SERIES 1 BD (Hanging Host Master Pump with G. & B. (Gilbert & Barker) Meter. The meter is not the one with the spinning numbers, but what is below spinning the numbers.

If you would like to see more pictures of your pump just go to this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm
Click on Wayne
Click on 80 and look at the pictures.

Your pump is also shown in the Gas Pump Bible identification book that I wrote recently. www.gaspumpbible.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
rahz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you gasmansgp and Jack Sim - The additional information and dates are much appreciated - Sadly i know nothing of it's past life, other than figuring out it was a Mobilgas from the shield outline in paint on the doors - Also, when i purchased a few Mobilgas Shield signs, the holes line up exactly with the ones in the door -

I do believe it was used commercially for a longer time - possibly into the 70's, with the 'anti-knock' decals put over the 'lead' - The ID tag does have the M&S/Wayne label, and i see it has a Copyright of 1952 on the Tag -

The junk shop that i bought it from had no history of the pump, but it is a very rural area, and i have passed gas pumps next to barns, and there are several 'old' gas stations in this rural area -

I will check out the links and references as i continue my education on this gas pump... Thank you all!!!!

Rich Hover
Hudson Valley NY

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Paul mentioned, you can delete the site glasses is you want to. You'd have to get repro meter faces without the holes, lot of those pumps didnt have site glasses. The anti-knock stickers are very common on the Lead signs. The on/off switch is just a simple toggle electrical switch on the inside, it can be replaced with a new one very easily from any hardware store. The inside of the conduit is typically filled with black goo that is most easily removed with a torch to melt out (very nasty fumes. Rewiring is good.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I might have a sight glass manifold & the hose retractor, if your looking pm me & I’ll look. Chris

R
rahz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank for the additional replies everyone - I appreciate all the help, information, and knowledge - This is my first gas pump, and while i've messed with cars and motorcycles my whole life, this is the first 'petrol' addition to the man cave (garage).

Lucikly the two bulb piping/sockets are still in place, and i did discover the simple on/off switch located inside a removeable cover - it's just a light switch with a mechanism when you turn the knob (missing currently), it will flip the switch off/on - I do plan to rewire/rebuild all the electrical -

The on/off knob sticks out a hole on the upper side of the gas pump, and i assue it had some sort of rotary plastic knob on the shaft...

The pump did come with a hose and nozzle, in fairly good shape, other than being filled with mud and crud - I will have to clean out the nozzle and may just buy new hose.

Thanks everyone!

Rich Hover
Hudson Valley NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved