Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Hi All

Anyone have good tips for deciphering repop signs from originals.

Some of them are easy to spot, but others are "relic'd" really well & are difficult to tell.

Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here’s the short and straight to the point lesson:

#1). DON’T BUY ON EBAY!

#2). Buy from reputable sources, such as guys that have knowledge at gas and oil shows or here on old gas.

#3) while your at the shows, learn how to tell the differences between real and fake

#4) research and study known originals to find subtle differences BEFORE buying a sign

#5) if your still not sure, ask some guys that know their stuff, like on this website

#6). Did I say DON’T BUY ON EBAY?

And

#7) Maharashtra India, or whatever the hell it’s called never had White Star, Sinclair, Frontier, or any other American gas stations in the 1920- 50’s. They probably barely had cars. So don’t buy anything from that country no matter what. Downtown New Delhi did not sell Musgo, Mohawk or Sohio... nor did they have Cities Service, Dixie Gas, Flying A, or Signal.....etc. etc. Get my drift??

But in all seriousness, have fun. It’s a great hobby with great people.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jul 28 2019 06:52 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Steve! I appreciate it.

Andrew

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would second all that Steve said Andrew. I would add two things that I have seen others write on Oldgas that I have experienced first hand.

1. There have been purchases that I could not get my money out of my pocket fast enough. That was where I usually got burned the worse.

2. Everybody has their horror stories. No matter how careful you are, you still will pick up a piece you regret later.

I love the hobby and I love the “learning” here on Oldgas.
Steve

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The old adage, "if it's too good to be true" rings true in most cases. How ironic or coincidental is it that the makers mark and the date always seem to be areas of damage on reproduction signs? In an attempt to validate the originality of the sign, I want to hear the history of how that person got the sign, how long have they had it and why sell now? Not everyone has a grandfather that ran a gas station who recently died and willed these signs to the seller. Trust your instincts and as I was told by several long time collectors, save your money, do your research and buy quality over quantity. Enjoy the hunt and remember its all just stuff. Neil

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few other things Andrew....

-the two guys above added very valid points

-when I said don’t buy from eBay, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few good guys selling there, but just do your dang research and homework. Usually the the good guys who sell there, also have their stuff posted here, without fees!! The good guys on eBay are like motorcycle club members.... they are the 1%’ers..... grin The other 99% is junk. A good way to tell is to look at their past sales. If most of it is fake, or they just sold 3 others of the same ‘rare’ sign, well, you know they aren’t reputable.

- when I mentioned, don’t buy unless you compare it to a known original (#4), you can usually accomplish finding known originals from past postings on this site, or usually reputable auction house result pictures online.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sun Jul 28 2019 11:27 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Speedracer
A few other things Andrew....

1.) "research and homework".

2.) you can usually accomplish finding known originals from past postings on this site, or usually reputable auction house result pictures online.

1.) cost you nothing but pays too do

2.) "not all" items in the books or reputable auctions are legit, use as much reference as possible too where your convinced, any doubt don't do it

"Buy Quality" even if you pay too much .. ... cool

RANDY
I have to agree with the other posts cautioning purchasing Petroliana signs on eBay. There are honest sellers on the site but you must be diligent with what you want to purchase on eBay. I now prefer to go the auctions where I am able to check the items personally.

Lancelot75

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It helps to look at the fonts, many repops use modern computer fonts.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beware on Facebook also, everybody seems to be a pro there, but I've seen numerous fake signs sold as originals on those pages.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by KZ1000
Beware on Facebook also, everybody seems to be a pro there.

I couldn't agree more. I often read things that are incorrect (that I know are wrong), misleading people and skewing the history of this stuff.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the tips all. Much appreciated.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved