Next Thread
Print Thread
#733497 Thu Aug 01 2019 04:25 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
S
I'm planning a diorama using several of these tanker cars, I prefer to use a steam locomotive but date accuracy is paramount to me.
Would these type tankers in any way have ever seen a steam locomotive?
What would the oldest locomotive be that these would have seen.
What is the oldest date that such a tanker would have been used? 1950's? 1960's?

train 8.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve, As a model railroader I know that the tank car in your photo has an ACI label (The bar code looking thing on the right side on the car). ACI labels began to come into use in 1967 and the system was abandoned by the railroads in 1977 (The tags became too dirty to be read by automatic track side scanners). The consolidated stencil (The black painted box next to the ACI label) came into use in 1972, so your photo can not be earlier than 1972 by which time steam locomotives were long gone from the scene. I can not identify specifically the exact type of tank car in your photo so can not tell for certain when it was built and it certainly could have been built many years earlier than this photo, but I'd suspect it was probably built in the 1960's and that a diesel locomotive would be more prototypical for your diorama. The reporting mark of NATX indicates the car is owned by North American Car Leasing and obviously leased to Sunoco. If you get a clearer shot of the consolidated stencil the builders date information is located there. BTW, model railroading can be just as addictive as petroliana!!!!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve, As a follow up Sunoco was using tank cars to ship product in the 1940's, so you could certainly model 1940's vintage tank cars and use a steam locomotive. I'm just not sure that the type of tank car in your photo would be the correct vintage to use with a steam engine, but certainly Sunoco tank cars were hauled behind steam. I hope that helps. Good luck with your diorama!

Regards, Jim

S
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
S
Thanks so much for the information Jim!!!
Wow, your really going into some date details. Which is great but probably just a little more than I was looking to.
Something that I thought of after posting this is the Sunoco logo itself. This version of the logo came out in 1961-62, so I have to use a locomotive that would have existed on or after 1961. Were steam locomotives used into the 60's by any chance? Probably unlikely eh??
Here is a picture of the exact tanker car I'll be using.
So if I have to use a diesel, what would you recommend as the coolest looking?

IMG_20190802_044036536.jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Fri Aug 02 2019 02:46 AM.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve, Steam was pretty much gone by the late 1950's and with very few exceptions by the early 1960's. Since you stated that date accuracy is paramount to you, look in the black box under CO. and see what the BLT date is. That would be the built on date for the car. You would then need to use a locomotive appropriate for that era, i.e. if the car was built in 1972 you would want to use locomotives commonly used in the 1970's. Regarding which is the coolest is like asking a parent "Which child is your favorite?", I love them all! Here are four pictures of 8 different locomotives, any of which you could justify pulling your tank car in the 1970's. There are any number of other locomotives that you could choose as well. Photo 1 GP-30 / RS-3, Photo 2 F-3 / C-628, Photo 3 NW-2 / SD-35, Photo 4 GP-9 / U25B.

Loco 1.jpg Loco 2.jpg Loco 3.jpg Loco 4.jpg

Regards, Jim

S
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
S
Jim, I really like this style of engine and I've always had a thing for Chessie System. Sunoco always had quite a presence in Ohio with the refinery in Toledo. So would it not be likely that Chessie hauled some oil for them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/920-42166-...CC-Chessie-System-C-O-3584/362706255538?

I sure would like to find this at a lower price!!! Plus, I don't care if it runs as it's only a diorama.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve, I had a cat I named Chessie years ago, so I certainly approve of your choice! Chessie locomotives would have hauled the tank car you have, so your desire for accuracy would be met. The locomotive you show has sound, which adds quite a bit to the cost. I did a quick check and found similar locomotives (GP-40 vs GP-35) quite a bit cheaper. You might do some further searching (HO GP-40 Chessie) and find it even cheaper. Good luck, and please post pictures when you get your diorama completed.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bachmann-EMD-Gp40-Diesel-Chessie-4135-HO-63517/28012068887

ebay item 192904753034

ebay item 362689325039

Last edited by SandPCollector; Sat Aug 03 2019 07:32 AM. Reason: added more choices

Regards, Jim

S
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
S
Thanks for everything Jim!! I'm excited. Haven't done any model railroading since I was a kid. I've been binging on YouTube videos for weathering and scenery techniques. I need to build a static grass applicator!! Creates an awesome look!!!
Gonna be a while but I will certainly post pics.
FYI, the plan is a shelf type diorama. Planning about 5-6 feet long. I currently have 6 of the same tank cars. Maybe 1 or 2 more. Need to weather them all. Gonna be tedious but fun!!

Steve Coppens

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved