Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#737918 Mon Oct 28 2019 02:12 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I restored this Butler 81 several years and had found this globe in Canton ,TX. I used it being my name. Colors are identical to Cosden. Someone told me that there was a station in San Angelo. Maybe some of you Texans can help me out. Thanks

fullsizeoutput_5e.jpeg

Anything oil and gas.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I was born and raised in San Angelo. There was a huge Cosden presence there and a large Cosden Station on North Chadbourne St., and I found some Cosden globes from the Cosden Distributor in San Angelo. I also found a Davis Globe like yours, but sold it to a Texas Collector 20 years ago. It may be the one you have because it might have traded in Canton when he died. Anyway, I don't know if there is any relationship between a man named Davis (who had some oil fields in and around Luliing, TX) who sold out to Magnolia in the 20's. The Cosden refinery was in Big Springs, TX. I never found out anything for sure, but that is as much pieces of history as I can tell you and I could never connect any of these suspicions together. Lot of pieces, but no completed puzzle. I hope some of this makes sense.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I am the author of the Gas Pump Bible, the gas pump identification book. I have pictures of the Butler 71 and the 91, but I do not have a picture of the 81. If it is possible, can you send me a picture showing the entire pump, floor to top. I just finished the 3rd edition of the book and I don't really feel that there will be a 4th edition because I am 84. If you can, either post it here on OG or send it to me at: jhsim@petrocollect.com

If you want to look at some other Butler pumps check out this page of my website. http://petrolianacollectibles.com/lit-butler.htm

If you live near Mobile say hello to my brother who lives in Daphne.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon Oct 28 2019 09:50 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks to all for the info. I will continue digging. Jack, I will take a picture for you this afternoon . There is a brass tag on it that says 81. I have your book and noted that it is not listed. I live in Orange Beach and go to the Daphne area often as my daughter lives in Fairhope. Again thanks.

Anything oil and gas.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Seems like the colors seen on some of the COSDEN globes and those on the DAVIS globe are very similar, if not the same. John

O
OP Offline
O
Yes the Cosden globe of the late 30's and into the 40's. is the exact same color. The red slash through the center is the same with the white borders. I had figured that the Davis guy was some how related to Cosden and used the same art work and color.Interesting trying to find out. There is no history on the company in the globe book. Thanks for any help.Lee

Anything oil and gas.
O
OP Offline
O
Jack,I have posted the pictures here for you and will also email you. It is hard to isolate the pump as it is crammed in next to other stuff. Hope the helps,Lee

fullsizeoutput_60.jpeg DSC00418.JPG

Anything oil and gas.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Lee, thanks, that picture will work out great.

I have also added you name to the contributor section of my book should I ever publish a 4th Edition.

Thanks again,

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved