Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Picked this up recently. Paid up for it but being the weak collector that I am, and having never seen it as a set, I had to have it. blush I actually already have all the cans but not in such a set.

So anyway, they are all full!!! I always empty my quarts. What's your opinion on these? Empty or don't empty.

Also, anyone know how to clean the paper box??

IMG_20191104_201443920 (2).jpg
Last edited by Steven C.; Mon Nov 04 2019 07:28 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I haven't emptied mine yet but I plan to. I don't trust chemicals in cans not to some day eat their way through the metal and then you have a bigger mess and a can with a hole or two in it. For surface dirt you could try an art gum eraser but not a pink pearl nor even a pencil eraser. The later can tear up paper and cardboard much more easily. You are stuck with any water or liquid stains on the box. In certain cases they could be reduced but that would take the skills of a paper conservator and it wouldn't be worth the cost. The same goes for sun fading and discolouration. Thanks for reminding me to drain my cans. Cheers, Don.

IMG_8713.JPG
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I always empty these types of coolant system related cans Steve. Some of these liquids are more caustic than others, but IMO why risk possible damage to a can when you can mitigate it now? My feelings have always been I'm paying the money for the can, not the contents. This leads into the question as old as time, it is worth more full or empty, drain or don't drain, etc. I'd rather have a nice looking empty can than one with discoloration or missing litho along the seams, which is where the damage will show first obviously if the can was left full.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
On sprucing up the outer paper box: I've had some luck using talcum powder or baking soda. I sprinkle it on dry to the stained or discolored areas, applying it generously. Then, I use my fingers to rub the white powder into the stained area. And then, I brush the used powder off. This process doesn't totally eliminate the stained areas, but it does seem to lessen their appearance. John

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks guys. I'll drain them. And I'll certainly try your baking soda trick John.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved