Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
ScottA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
As context, I received this s36" diameter sign as a birthday gift from my wife. It had been hanging in my friends' dad's shop for decades and when cleaning it out after he passed away, she arranged to get it from my friend for me. I'm a classic car guy but when it comes to petroliana I'm not a collector so forgive me for not having a value guide and research materials at hand. Repro or not, I'm happy to have it therefore.

What I have done is ask my friend where his dad would get such a sign and he said antique shops and swap meets - this in the 1980s mostly. I've done some general searching around the internet and it doesn't match any out there that I see. Could it just be someone's home art project - ?

I'll attach a photo, and list below some things that are apparant to me that seem odd or may just provide more information.

Some things that I notice are different - I'm sure there are plenty more to you experienced collectors:

Border is simply white, no black (or green)
Wings / "A" have no black outline
Font looks a little off here and there - the "G" in "Flying" looks a little small, and the "G" in "Gasoline" looks a different in terms of the width of the vertical piece and a little chop off at about the 7:00 ponit.

The little bottom vertical line in the "Y" in "Flying" looks off center.

The paint isn't highly uniform in application either - seems a little thicker here and there. It was also not clear coated in that a mile cleaner did remove a light bit of paint consistent with baked enamel finishes on automobiles prior to the advent of base/clear paint jobs.

The holes drilled are crudely done and not uniformly spaced. No grommet at the top one (largest, the middle and bottom ones are just sheetmetal screw holes by the looks of it.
The back is galvanized finish.

I appreciate very much anyone's opinion on it. Again I am happy to have it as her gift, just trying to figure out what it is...
- Scott

Flying A resized.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
ScottA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
130 views, no replies. Really noone has anything to add? All information appreciated.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, I can't help you, I don't collect flying A but it doesn't look correct to me. But as I said I'm not an expert. Hang in there someone should chime in who knows.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, it doesnt look right, looks repro to me. I've recreated flying A graphics before for making repro shoebox lenses and the wings look like they have lost a lot of detail on this sign. Shouldnt be so blocky. Everything about the sign kind of screams repro to me,

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed Jan 29 2020 01:32 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Scott...I concur with Paul. I have 3 Flying A pump plate, which are not the larger size, but all things considered I would think it is a reproduction sign. IMO

S
ScottA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you Stephenwarren30, Paull Bell, and Done4 for your comments. Much appreciated.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
The FLYING just isn't flying with me.
Spacing top of i and the g is to small.
Gasoline g is leaning and not straight up and down.
Maybe its way picture is taken?
But as its been said I.m no expert and collect brand specfic.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
ScottA Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Loyd, it wasn't the way the photo was taken, that sort of thing is why I questioned it to begin with.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have an associated sign that I questioned also, but this one without seeing the back seems to be on the reproduction side. Painted signs were used of course by Flying A, but this seems too new looking for it to be 50 years old.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

With the back being galvanized finish it’s definitely a repo.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Steve Jelf made these signs mostly in 26" and a few 36" if I remember correctly back in the late 70's up until he sold the business to Weathertech the floor mat folks 10 - 15 years ago they sold it to the Signpast company that went out of business about 2 years ago. Steve never marked the front of them just the back was marked with a manufacture name and date sticker and or an ink stamp that was easy to remove.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dang Don! You’re better than google.

Have gas all the time
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
LOL I dealt with Steve and the other owners over the years or I wouldn't have a clue. Still have about 20 of the 26" signs hanging around in the shop. Not worth much but I enjoy the logos and colors.

Looks new

Tom Hutchison

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved