Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
My neighbor has a great Jay B Rhodes wooden oil bottle carrier. Two of the blue mason jar style bottles have the Jay B Rhodes signature logo and all have straight Jay B Rhodes stamped spouts.

It’s my understanding that Rhodes used the crates that the bottles were shipped in to make these wooden carriers before he switched to the more common metal ones.

I’m hoping to give her some more info and a possible value.

[Linked Image][/[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Highground-photos/media/Mobile%20Uploads/EE123849-92F6-4C4F-A9A1-F46EEF5DDB63.jpeg.html][Linked Image]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be great if you could post a pic of the bottles that are branded, this may help answer your question. Welcome to Oldgas.

Have gas all the time
B
OP Offline
B
Agreed. Attachment Manager training complete. No more Photobucket.

E272833F-3512-4684-9A86-0BD18BF636FB.jpeg DBBEF80C-350E-4322-8878-0CD98965C36A.jpeg
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W

I think it was late last year that someone wrote a book about J B Rhodes the inventor from Kalamazoo M. I think he designed the spout, I think it has a tube on the inside of it.

Todd

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To an oil bottle collector the Rhodes branded blue bottle could be in the 250 to 300 range easy. I have no idea on the carrier but it is cool as hell. Thanks for the pic.

Have gas all the time
B
OP Offline
B
The author is Cindy Jeffrey. I’ve met with her. It’s an interesting book. I showed her a picture and she got pretty excited. She is related to the Rhodes family and has some of his items on display at the Gilmore Car Museum.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Can't say I've ever personally seen the embossed Rhodes "Mason jar" looking bottle.....wonder how many I've passed over not looking closely thinking they were just actual Mason jars?!! Thanks for posting the pics of them, something to be on the lookout for.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I have never seen a aqua J B Rhodes jar either. Nor have I ever seen a wood carrier for oil jars. The Gilmore Museum is an awesome place, if anyone were visiting Michigan it would be a must see site.
the jars and carrier are a fantastic find Thanks for the pictures.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
As Darin somewhat suggested wonder if these are Mason Jars with oil tops. A oil top doesn't make a mason jar a true oil bottle.
J B Rhodes was a inventer with two hundred patents, could it be that two of them have come together. Either way they are pretty cool looking.. The vented oil spout was his invention or at least he put a patent on it first.
He was proud of his work and displayed signature logo on many items.You can tell you have a Rhodes wire carrier as its stamped in the cross bar support just below the handle..
Maybe one of his best inventions that has stood the test of time -- The Gibson Guitar.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
B
OP Offline
B
I agree that I will also be paying close attention to mason jars from now on. I wonder how many jars of peaches are sitting out there somewhere in Jay B Rhodes “jars”.

M
M
Could you private message me? I have a question about these jars

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved