Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
These pumps came from south eastern Utah as well . Note the Fry on the left with the external pump . If I remember right I sold it to Dennis Meier a very long time ago . That's one I wish I had back but he's a great guy so oh well .

IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2245.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Amazing!!

Braden Splichal

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That Falcon is killer!

BrianH

Brian H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I didn't take a lot of photos for years but did keep this one photo. A guy called me and offered me these signs for 35k delivered. Probably 20 years go. I said I'd take them. A couple of hours later he asked me if I'd sell them. I said I'd take 45k for them. He said done deal and sent me 10k. Like to have them now!!

dealershipsigns.jpg
2 members like this: Gasman84470, henlovestoys
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Pretty nice group of signs Butch!!! Les, I used to sit there sweating my butt off taking those big signs out of the poles and would leave the signs stacked on the bottom because I couldn't get the heavy poles moved off the top. LOL... I went back to see if the poles where still there and everyone had scrapped them all or they were gone. Crazy how the value on this junk has changed over the years

Last edited by coltex; Tue Apr 07 2020 08:53 AM.
1 member likes this: henlovestoys
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
One year before my trip to Iowa Gas I decided to put an ad in a few Kansas town newspapers, never been to Kansas and figured maybe I could
find some goodies down there, seeing I was close in Iowa anyway. I got a few calls and continued to Kansa after Iowa Gas. I picked up some
ripple globes, Kanotex, etc. Then an interesting stop with a lady that had some Little Bear globes. She told me the story about how they started,
I think had a couple stations, and then showed me the prototypes I guess you might say, of what they wanted for globe lenses.
I never did buy them, didn't think at that time the value was there but I did get a couple sets of the Little Bear lenses we know today. I think
each brother and sister got a set of lenses and she called me a year or so later to see if I wanted another set but passed.

lilbear.jpg

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is funny Kim. You are the 3rd person I know that has that same story.

Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A couple of trips to southern Idaho . Not big halls but some good things . Mint Veltex signs and a Wayne 60 with the Utoco Globe still on it . by the way those pole signs we have been talking about I also only took them because the guy had an excavator to load them on my trailer . I put them in a storage shed and it took me a couple of years to get rid of them and got very little money when I finally did sell them .

IMG_2269.JPG IMG_2270.JPG
1 member likes this: veltex
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There likely was guys there after me Clifton as there
Was some Bear lenses left. I couldn’t afford them all at that time. Not sure if anyone ever did buy those ones in the picture

Last edited by minuteman; Tue Apr 07 2020 08:30 PM.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is funny Kim. I would never tell? LOL

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I'll tell another story. In about 2003 I was in New England junking, but first went to spring Carlisle. I was at the show talking to Chuck Pergl about his old picking days and he told me of a story where he and his brother found a guy who had a 1 pc. molded Texaco Firehat globe. Long story short is that he never bought it because the condition was a little weak and the price was high. I enjoyed the stories, didn't find much and left the show. About a week or two later I was driving up Hwy 23 of Hwy 287 in northern NJ. My wife and I were winding through the little towns and went a stretch with no town. I saw a little sign to turn off Hwy 23 and a town was 1 mile down. So I said what the heck, let's see if there is any town to speak of. I turn and go in to what was really not a town, but as I got there, there was a 50's Texaco station converted it to a auto body shop. Big banjo sign out front. I stop and the guy is under a car working. I almost left before he rolled out because there was nothing inside, gutted. He rolls out from under the car and I say I am collecting old gas signs. He says to me, I have the rarest gas globe known to exist. I said, trying to keep a straight face, "what would that be"? He said " A Texaco Firehat globe". I'll show it to you after I get off work at 5:00. It's at my house about 1 hr away. I go to the car and tell my wife, "this guy says he has an old texaco firehat globe". It's 4:00 now and we really can't make it anywhere else before the businesses close. Might as well go see the $50 repop globe with a firehat on it. We drive to his house, he says, "Let me grab it and I'll be right out" as we stand in the living room. He brings out a 1 pc molded milkglass Firehat globe. I about s**t in my pants. He says, the old man had 2, but would only let me have this one. I end up buying it right there. Coincidentally it was the exact same one Pergl was telling me about 2 weeks earlier because it matched the minor damage he had described. This world is smaller than you think and CRAZY things happen. I don't have a picture.

1 member likes this: Gasman84470
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Here is what I got from a trip to Brigham City Utah long ago. For the new collectors out there this is what the stuff looks like when you find it in the wild , if that still happens anymore ? You have to crawl around look high and low and get filthy dirty . Then you bring it home and spend countless hours cleaning it but its the most fun you will ever have . Well maybe the second most fun you will ever have.

IMG_2255.JPG IMG_2254.JPG
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Junking in New England 15 years ago. I motorcycle/snowmobile shop had a 6 foot gas sign on the building. I go in and asked to talk to the owner who said he had a few things, but mostly just repro and common things. I go down and look and I see the Jenny globe in the middle of a Esso and Skychief globe. I think 5 globes total. I'm looking and looking, I and think to myself, "Dang, that Jenny globe is original 15" lenses on a repro body". I go upstairs and ask him if he would sell anything, and he said "what". I said tell me about that Jenny globe. He said, "my uncle worked at a Jenny station and when they closed it, he brought me those lenses and I put them in that repro body. He said how long you gonna be around?". I said today, my wife is at the hotel, I let her sleep late because it's her birthday. He said, "you go take her to lunch and come back later, if I'm not here I'll let the guys know". I said OK. I go to lunch, couldn't hardly eat, then went back. I pulled up and one of the employees ran out, I said the owner told me to come back about selling me one of his globes. He said "I know. He said to tell you to go down and get it". I about fell over because I thought he was trying to avoid telling me NO. He is the picture of his display and in my house now!

[Linked Image from i836.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i836.photobucket.com]

1 member likes this: Wasatch Man
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That Jenney....WOW, just.....WOW!!!! Great story too.

BrianH

Brian H
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
What a great Globe . Congratulations

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved