Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#748733 Thu May 14 2020 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This was inspired by gatorgaspumps and MATT ALVAREZ two recent posts showing their gas pump collections. I started collecting gas pump salt and pepper shakers almost twenty years ago and did not even know of these coin banks until I had been collecting for six or seven years. I believe the shakers were gas station give-a-ways and the banks were sold by the stations. I do know that the banks are many times harder to locate than the salt and pepper shakers are. The banks are 4 and 1/2 inches tall versus the shakers which are 2 and 7/8 inches tall. Here are the various Avsco coins banks I have been able to assemble to date. I would very much be interested in learning what other coin banks exist, so if you have information or photos please add to this post. Thanks for looking and I hope you get some enjoyment out of these!

Banks 1 051420.jpg Banks 2 051420.jpg Banks 3 051420.jpg Banks 4 051420.jpg

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
3 members like this: Oldgas, RandyM, RedHat
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love it!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome collection. I have not seen this many versions, thank you for sharing them with us.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Nice to see the different ones out there. What are the general price ranges for these banks that you have come across? I'm sure decal condition is very important, as it is with the s&p's.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Darin, Prices are all over the map. The condition and rarity is important as you indicated. The common banks seem to trade between $20 and $50. The hard to find ones are dependent on the day and who is bidding! I don't recall seeing an individual bank sell for more than $400 or $500. I've certainly seen lots of shaker sets sell for far north of that amount. My personal opinion is that the banks are a heck of a lot harder to find than shakers, but there aren't as many bank collectors as there are shaker collectors.

Regards, Jim

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nice collection of coin banks. Have never run across one in all the years I have been collecting. Richard

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here are my three banks.

139.JPG 162.JPG 168.JPG
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
pumpdoc, Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see there is someone else collecting these! I noticed that your Mobil has a red nozzle and that your Texaco has a silver one. I've never seen red or silver before. I had previously only seen black, white, orange and tan. I always enjoy learning something new about this hobby.

Regards, Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved