Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Glass is going in- bay is almost re-glassed, working his way around. Still looking for a way to get paint off the ridged windows! I think we have decided to keep the transoms and had to order one piece online.

newglass1.jpg newglass2.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Cleaning out the back room and found 3 nozzles. One is still in the box but the box is falling apart. I guess these are from the 40's?

800f.jpg opw.jpg
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Another update. All the exterior steel-frame glass has now been replaced. The bathroom glass turned out really nice. Spent part of 2 days up on the ladder cleaning the paint off the "marker" tiles- the north wall ones are in really good shape and they cleaned up nicely. I can't believe they had painted over them. Began the process of cleaning the roof tiles- the process is apply stripper, scrape, more stripper, scrape, wipe off, more scrape, etc..... It's going to take a while but the tiles are cleaning up pretty well.
Today the gutters are going up on the back, tomorrow more demo in the secondary building. I was able to find a local young guy that's a fireman and he's been doing some demo- finished up the ceiling removal in the station and now he's gutting the secondary building.
The bay doors are on order and should be in in a couple of weeks. At that time I'll get the "office" glass installed- the countertops are removed and there is just a small amount of water-damaged wood to replace so that should go pretty easy.
I started cleaning the ridged transom glass- what a job! The previous owners painted inside and out. The outside is smooth so that's basically brush on acetone, wait, then scrape with a razor blade. The inside is ridged so it's acetone, rub, acetone, rub, acetone, wire brush, etc... But they are so pretty when cleaned may end up keeping them....

BR1.jpg Office_demo.jpg West3.jpg TR1.jpg
2 members like this: RandyM, Gasman84470
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Those tiles look great! Nice work.

Greg

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Every time you post photos of your progress my back hurts! Seriously, I am really impressed with how much you have accomplished as well as how nice all the completed work looks. I wish you much continued success and look forward to the next update,

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Amazing job every time I view your progress it impresses me . Can’t wait to see it finished .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks, guys. It's progressing faster than I had hoped. More demo tomorrow, and sometime this week a new "ladies room" outside door should be in. I really can't wait for the exterior paint- it's going to really make it "pop".

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
ABSOLUTELY, one of the coolest projects I've seen done with an old station. You are doing a FABULOUS job on the restoration, congrats! Would be my dream to be able to do a restoration as that! Wish I lived closer as I would help you for free!. Will keep watching, and keep up the GREAT work!

Michael F. Moran
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Not much progress the last week as "real work" has ratcheted way up. I was at the station one day, though, and a friend drove up and said he had an old picture of the original station. I was glad to get it, now I know what the signage looked like. Too bad there was a camper in the way!
I did manage to locate enough 4x4 green tiles to replace all of the broken ones, so that was a win.

Actual_Pic.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is cool that you got an original picture. The gas pump looks like a Bennett 371 or 541. Sinclair used Bennett pumps more than any other manufacturer.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Was able to get a little work done on the bathrooms. The men’s room is going to get fresh paint and the old sink and toilet seem to be useable.
The ladies room “napkin” dispenser and paper towel holder may be salvageable too- going to take some detailed photos, then see if I can get the rust off and repaint them.
The bathroom door was installed today and I got it all caulked up- hope to get the wood primed tomorrow if real work allows it.
A piece of ridged glass will be ordered for the transom.
Still waiting on bay doors and glass.

5D0BA2C2-F549-46A8-A2A6-058532D1AC0F.jpeg 4097E1E9-25BC-40CE-B22C-98F23F818DA9.jpeg EB9240BC-F161-4C3C-AF94-7960DE983A69.jpeg
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Thanks for the update! I am enjoying watching the progress you are making, although I know you have to be even more pleased than all of us keeping tabs. Keep up the good work!!!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
What a great project. Well worth the doing. I look forward to your updates and have enjoyed every one of them. Thanks - Jack J.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Any updates for us?

Greg

D
DH44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Skydog
Any updates for us?

Greg

Things have been slow with the holidays and work. I did get a call that the new bay doors are in and they want to install this week. Have to make sure the welder is available to build the center support. Been having an exceedingly difficult time finding anyone to do some framing and put the ceilings back in. Slow going, but that seems to be the common case- it's sad how hard it is to find someone that actually wants to work and then follows through....

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved