Next Thread
Print Thread
#756660 Sat Oct 31 2020 09:42 AM
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Guys,
I bought this Mobil topper recently. From the forum archives, I'm pretty sure it's good but would like your opinion to be sure. It's so clean that I'm questioning myself, thanks.

Mobil Topper front.JPG Mobil Topper back.JPG

Brian H
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
I'm not a Mobil expert but to me yours looks questionable . Here is a picture of my original which has a lot more detail .

IMG_2620.JPG
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Dosen’t look right the hoofs on the original are more pointed and don’t appear to come down so far in comparison ?

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
T
T
Unfortunately that's a reproduction pegasus topper, the details are off, the tail and face are too "fat" and the back never came painted gray.

Erik
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
This is the reason I told Brian I don't collect Mobil toppers..... I have two, and I've had them both for over 10 years. I bought one in a local antique shop, and the other was a gift. It was certainly used as it isn't a minty example. At any rate, the one I purchased years ago looks like Brian's. I thought it was good but must be it isn't. I do believe though that the one Peter posted is a different version. I know there is a guy that produced a collector's guide booklet on Mobil toppers specifically that appears on Ebay every so often, and if I remember right there's like 50 different versions out there. I can't remember the exact number, but it was a helluva lot more than I was aware of.
At any rate, due to the repros this has been an area of collecting that I've stayed away from.
Darin

Top Frt.jpg Top Bk.jpg

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
T
T
Darin you are correct, repros have made it more difficult to trust these toppers, so I did purchase that booklet for this reason. The booklet does a very good job detailing the differences and I highly recommend it as a source for collecting.

Last edited by Topper; Sun Nov 01 2020 08:17 AM.

Erik
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was also an article on the Mobil toppers in CTO or PCM magazine a few years back. It was a good article. I will try to find it for you Brian.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks guys....guess I will be asking for my money back then. Learned a good lesson here.

Topper, what is the correct color for the back? Black?

Brian H
K
K
Heres the one I have, I know it's original came from an 85 year old gentleman, not sure on age

20201101_125136.jpg
Front

20201101_125148.jpg
T
T
Original backs are typically are black or tin with no paint, so silver. Kurt has a later release pegasus with a red metallic finish.

Erik

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved