Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#770722 Sun Nov 14 2021 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
OP Online Cool
Veteran Member
Who are most people using now? In the past I’ve used North American Van Lines. Are they still the preferred “go to” for the best price? Trying to help someone get one from N.C. to TX.

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
57-Chevy #770724 Sun Nov 14 2021 04:41 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have used Beltman for over ten years. For incoming and outgoing they are as good as it gets. They have delivered all across the country for me....Fair price, as far as I'm concerned. Pick up and delivery, door to door. They will offer extra insurance if needed. 1 800 959-8880 Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

57-Chevy #770726 Sun Nov 14 2021 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it is a popularity vote I have used Beltman x4 and they've delivered them a long way and did it well!

57-Chevy #770733 Sun Nov 14 2021 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've mentioned this in other posts, but, repeating myself, it's difficult to find a single carrier that is good, reliable, and consistently reasonable in price. The price will vary greatly depending on where it is going / coming from. The other issue is if you directly book with the carrier, you'll most likely need to use their insurance, which sucks badly as its calculated by weight somehow.

So I've found after researching this to death, to use a broker. I like freightquote the most. Uship is another. The broker will be your intermediary to the shipper. You just set up an account online, and run a search of the location your going to / coming from. If its dropped off at a terminal, goes residential, goes to a commercial dock, will greatly affect price. Residential is 50% more generally. Pickup at the terminal saves a little money usually over delivery to a business. The website will list a bunch of options/shippers, usually 10 or so, if you see a carrier you like and it reasonable, great. I usually then call my freightquote rep and see if they can find me a better deal, they have their ways of sometimes making it cheaper (it has to do with how full the truck is, then they can negotiate a lower price.) Sometimes that phone call saves me 20% or so.

Then you have the option to buy direct insurance from the broker, which is way better than the shippers insurance. The only unfortunate thing about the brokers insurance is the high deductible - $500 (freightquote and uship). I find the insurance usually costs me about $35 for a pump. Like I said the shippers insurance (not broker) is really just a joke, hardly any coverage at all.

Speaking with my broker rep, it seems that things go wrong about 3% of the time, so beware its a gamble you take. I usually ask the broker if they have had problems with the shipper and that helps me choose which one I choose. The other nice thing about brokers is that you call them if there is a problem, and they have more leverage than you individually do.

So anyway, that's how I do it, that and I build killer crates that can take a beating, also that can be lifted safely with a fork lift. Have had good luck so far, I had a restored pump go missing for two months but eventually got it there safely! (BTW, Beltman never comes up as an option for me, I might check them out sometime, anytime I've called shippers directly they have been too expensive so far.)

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sun Nov 14 2021 07:51 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
57-Chevy #770754 Sun Nov 14 2021 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beltmann is not cheap but they are great if you are dealing with someone that will not crate or put it on a pallet. Beltmann picks them up as is.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved