Next Thread
Print Thread
#790390 Thu Apr 20 2023 08:22 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
30 years ago, when a short Wayne 70 would show up every one thought that it was cut locally and not at the factory. Alot of people still think that is still true including me. I might have to change my mind. I recently picked up the short Wayne 70 and will show you some of the differences in this pump and the tall 70.
On the upper portion of the side skins where the small triangle cover goes, they have put a stainless-steel screw there to hide the hole. Notice that the top fits a lot tighter on the side skins. The skins are attached to the legs by screws and bolts, not the screws and retainer clip. The top reflector cap has been cut out to allow the nozzle receiver to be inserted.

Wayne3.jpg IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
The meter is attached to the pump by two threaded bolts hanging down from a cross member. The other side is attached to the legs in the normal manner. The light assembly is not attached to the top reflector plate in the normal manner. It is attached to the side of it. The light assembly has also been shorted.

IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0229.JPG
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
On the nozzle side of the pump, they have added a retractor cable assembly. They have also updated the turn back assembly. They have added hose guards on the side of the skin also. They have cut the frame and also the door to accommodate the shorter pump. Notice the cut on the door is very clean. Before I took the paint off, I could not tell if the top was cut. Because of this clean cut on the door, I think these pumps were cut at the factory. Richard

IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0228.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I’ve had a few factory cut Bennett’s and Wayne’s . Nice eye on catching all of the modifications.

Here is one I had that I still have a picture of….

73B69F90-361E-430C-B195-A651CCBA4D30.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Apr 21 2023 08:19 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All these cut down pumps were probably done by a company that refurbished gas pumps for resale. Not just cutting down but rebuilding parts as needed. Cutting down the used pumps made them more desirable to someone that could not afford a new short pump. It does not make sense for a company that manufactures new pumps to take in old pumps and cut them up. They were already making short pumps so why take existing pumps and modify them?

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I’ve had a few of the cut down ( by an aftermarket company, not Wayne) Wayne 70’s & they did an amazing job on the doors. Like mentioned earlier you wouldn’t know until you looked inside or took the paint off. I think the ones I had they actually leaded the door seams where they cut it.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved