Next Thread
Print Thread
#7842 Thu Oct 13 2005 06:59 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Now that the bidding is over on this one, can any of you comment on its originality, use, age, etc... anybody?

Ebay #7187731473

Thanks... Brian

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7843 Thu Oct 13 2005 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He pretty much gave the info you are looking for in his listing and I have no reason to doubt it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#7844 Fri Oct 14 2005 06:49 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks Lastgas. I have no reason to doubt him either, though I have no reason besides faith in mankind to believe him either.

I've never seen or heard of Ford benzol advertisements using script letters... only in capitalized BLOCK letters and sometimes used in conjunction with the name FORD.

A search of this magnificent site discusses three possibly four styles of FORD BENZOL globes... the key hole shaped one mostly recently subjected to an Ebay scam, the most "common" blue and white round with both words Ford Benzol in caps, the blue and white round with just BENZOL in caps. So I'm just trying to get direction, confirmation or even conjecture on this fourth style and whether it is the blue and white round lens with just Benzol in script letters... like in the auction I referenced.

Thanks... Brian

I know I dont post much here (am an avid lurker) cuz my interests are very specific to FOMOCO automobilia and service brand affiliates.

[This message has been edited by Brian Harris (edited 10-14-2005).]

#7845 Fri Oct 14 2005 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah!!!!! another ford fan not too many of us left anymore.

Got Socony???

Tom
#7846 Fri Oct 14 2005 08:54 AM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Count me in as a Ford Guy for sure, Flatheads Forever!!!!!!

Chris Holt
#7847 Fri Oct 14 2005 11:42 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Big Big Ford fan here.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#7848 Fri Oct 14 2005 12:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
First On Race Day !!! FORD !!! Das right .....

#7849 Fri Oct 14 2005 01:59 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Fords rule............u no da rest. Never had a Model A or T but had about all the rest and Flatheads Forever Man! Any exta Ford signs out there?

#7850 Fri Oct 14 2005 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian,
The seller is the owner of Petroleum Artifacts. He makes or sells repro's but he also collects original globes. I don't know him personally but some heavy hitters have said he's a stand up guy.
As for the lenes itself. New discoveries are found nearly every week. I don't have any info that would contradict the seller's listing, but many companies did sell benzol gasoline.
Did you see the capco Benzol Premium globe that just sold on ebay? It was sold as an original, but I believe it was an old repro.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#7851 Mon Oct 17 2005 06:50 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Good input Lastgas, thanks. I did see that Ebay Benzol Premium globe, but didnt realize it was likely a repop. I recall a "globe of the month" posting here that featured Benzol so that was helpful to see how many other brands sold a Benzol.

I didnt realize the sellers background of reproductions AND originals, but appreciate your respect for him as a straight shooter.

I'm intrigued by this "script" Benzol cus it uses Ford colors and the font is clearly Ford. Perhaps it is a rare survivor, or a mystery fantasy repop... doesnt matter at this point. I'll keep snoopin for info on Ford Benzol and will hopefully find something to shed more light.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

Brian

#7852 Mon Oct 17 2005 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Brian, I am a Ford nut also. I was the owner of the Benzol keyhole globe that several of the scammers tried to dupe people on. I collect Ford memorabilia also and believe that the lens on ebay was original. I did not get a chance to hold it but it gave every indication as to being original. I hated to sell my keyhole globe but family obligations took front row. Joel over at Petroleum Artifats has been collecting alot longer than me and I think he would also know the difference. To my knowledge, he has always represented stuff as to what it was. Remember, just because no one today has seen an item, did not mean it did not exist. Alot of globes that existed at one time will NEVER be seen again just because they were all either thrown out or broken along time ago. New finds are made every day. I have been fortunate over the years to make a few myself. Its a shame, that we as collectors don't know what all is out there, but thats life. I think more neat stuff from Ford Motor Company will be found in the future, and I hope I am the one there to find it!!!!!!!!!!

#7853 Mon Oct 17 2005 10:49 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Roger, I think I have seen pics of your FORD items... cars and advertising both, right? If the one I'm thinking of then its very impressive.

I'm quite settled with having the lens, and am simply now motivated to learn more about it. No doubt I'll just wind up being distracted by another item... that's just the way it goes.

Thanks for your reply and encouragment.

Brian

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved