Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hello Fellow Gas Geeks,

I am starting to prepare for the next Front Range Gas Bash in Denver and I wanted to get everyone's thoughts before I proceed.

Last year in our first year we had a great show. Vendors came from all over, NM, CA, NE, KS, NV, TX, UT, WY, MT. All the vendors that I spoke to had a great time. The one comment that I did not like to hear but I knew I would was about the buyers. We had 54 vendors and a little over 200 buyers that attended. So I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to get the buyers to the show. My thoughts have kinda of centered around combining the show with one of the swap meets for the car guys that have been running for years in Denver. I have talked with a few of the sponsors of these shows and they have been very interested. My question is, does combining the bash with a car swap meet make the bash less appealing to the gas geeks? Please weigh in with your thoughts! Brandon, Rick, Doc? Dwaine?

------------------
Scott
www.frontrangegas.com

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hi Scott, I would say that is a great idea! It should not at all take away from the gas show and would attract more buyers, increase sales for the sellers and make others aware that these gas shows exist. I would say go for it. Good luck and I hope I can make it down this year. JMO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SCOOT,
I THINK THAT IF YOU COMBINE YOUR FRGB 2005 WITH ANOTHER CAR SHOW AND SWAP MEET, IT SHOULD BE A WELL ESTABLISHED SHOW THAT MANY PEOPLE WILL ATTEND. THIS INCREASES YOUR ATTENDANCE AS MOST CAR GUYS ARE LOOKING TO DECORATE AS WELL AS COLLECT. YOUR PLACE IN THE SHOW SHOULD BE ADJACENT AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE....NOT OFF IN THE CORNER, UP THE FIELD AND OUT OF THE WAY! MAKE SURE THAT WHEN AND IF YOU DO HOOK UP WITH A WELL PROMOTED SHOW THAT YOUR AD INFO
IS CLEARLY STATED AND ADDED TO THAT SHOW. YOU CAN ALSO ADD THE CAR SHOWS INFO TO YOUR ADVERTISING AS WELL....SO THAT EACH SHOW OR PART OF THE SHOW COMPLIMENTS EACH OTHER AND THE
SHOWGOERS ARE EQUALLY AWARE THAT BOTH TYPES OF SHOWS ARE GOING ON WITHIN THE SAME EVENT ON THE SAME DAY, ETC.

JUST MY NICKELS WORTH!

DOC @ TAG/WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
S
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
S
Good feedback keep it coming guys. I need to hear the pro's and the con's before I commit.

BTW- The show that I am think would be the best fit is the largest one in the Rocky Mountain area. Old Car Council...

------------------
Scott
www.frontrangegas.com

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
That's the way I'd do it.

------------------
Dwaine. pca-west.org
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree as well, because this is a great way to introduce new folks to this side of the hobby..... Elden

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Most of the reasoning for my getting into this hobby, is the fact that I've got a "DETROIT IRON" truck. What better than a classic gas pump next to a classic rod or custom? Just my opinion, but I bet a lot of gear heads would be turned on & tuned in to our style of early iron. I know that I would have gotten into this a lot sooner if I was introduced to it at a younger age. Nobody gets into a hobby to save money. But look what this hobby has to offer. Unrestored pumps are a lot cheaper than a car or bike, they can be built for a lot less, and their WOW factor is darn close. I say Lets Do It. Drop me an "e" I'd love to help....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
It won't hurt at all to combine your show with a GOOD car show, BUT it might not help too much. The original promoter of the Chicagoland's show at Peotone, IL scheduled the show to be on the same day as three automotive swap meets within a 30 or 40 mile radius. The gas show ran the latest in the day. The idea was the car guys could hit the gas show after hitting one or two of the car shows. I've done every spring show at Peotone. The show has more foot traffic than any one day gas show I've been to. When the weather is decent we can expect to have 1000-1150 buyers. When the weather is bad (blizard conditions) we get 650-700. The differene is the car guys don't make it to the show when the weather is bad. As a seller I've found the car guys to only be casually interested in gas stuff. They can take it or leave it. Their main focus is cars. My experience is the AVERAGE car guy might buy a few $10 or $20 cans, a repro globe or sign. They aren't the guys that are going to buy a $500 sign or globe.
Peotone draws about 100 or so vendors. Most of them are also collectors. About 60% of my sales are to other vendors during set up. The other 40% of sales are to the general public.
Something that has really helped the Peotone show is that Aumman Auctions has been conducting petroliana auctions in conjunction with the last several shows. The auction isn't connected with the show, but compliments it nicely. At first there was some apprehension that the auction would draw all the money and the show would suffer. It turned out to be the other way around. The addition of the auction brings in more SERIOUS buyers.
It's not so much about the number of people as it is about the number of "buyers". Advertising costs alot. Your best bet is to target petro collectors. I'd say you're off to a great start with 54 vendors at your first show. Try to identify as many PETROLIANA collectors as you can within a six hour drive of your show. Those are your buyers and vendors. Sure, some will travel farther, but they are the exception. You should get some increased foot traffic with the car show guys if you combine the shows. The real increase in sales will be when you draw more gas guys.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 12-16-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
One more thing. If you do add an auction be sure to have it before the swap meet. One show I set up at this year had an auction DURING the show! The auction drew ALL the buyers. The vendors packed up and left.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Scott I havent been to that car show. Where and when is it? I think the street rod nats would be good over 2000 cars, but might be expensive, they have a swapmeet and show. I know the guy incharge of the swapmeet and spaces. I have put stuff in the swapmeet And seems it was $50 for a space, but this is for three days and pass to the show all weakend. Its at the fair grounds the last weakend in june, maybee a saturday show for us.
Goodguys is also a big show in September at PPIR, but the weather could be iffy at best, been there in a blizzard, and have also rosted so you never know. If you want to talk to the guy about the rod show gimme a call (719) 250 5721. He will work with us hes opening a new rod shop in town and Im doing two 39 shorts for him rite now so he is intersted in the petro.
Hope this helps
Brandon Esgar

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Need to know when the dates are...Last years show date was perfect Scott...I think whether you get alot of buyers or vendors rely's heavy on the date with all the shows going on these days....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved