Next Thread
Print Thread
#103347 Thu Feb 06 2003 12:14 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
While checking telco poles into a rural ranch I spotted this Shell sign behind an out building. The rancher needed to check with his wife about selling it. I called the next day, he said OK however, they were leaving on a trip, I would have to wait 3 months to pick it up. I could see the price going way up. In 3 months I picked it up and he let me have it for $25 Less than our original deal.

After the thing had been in the garage for months; and I was scratching my head as what to do with it; my wife said "why don't you hang it next to the front door". This from my wife who calls most of my treasures RUST. Needless to say I got busy on a bracket to hang the sign on.

When I had the bracket in place I decided to hang the bare frame and check my measurements. The 8 foot tall front door cleared by 1-1/2 inches, my measurements worked. The neon was still in the shop so I just left the frame up there. Two days later, as she turned to go up the stairs, it caught my wifes eye and I hear "my god I didn't realize it's that big". I was off to the neon shop and had the whole sign up in a flash before she could change her mind. Our friends tell her what did you expect, it was made to see a mile down the road. I love the looks after someone has sat in our living room for 10 or 15 minutes and then realizes whats hanging up in the corner.
Ed

2/6/03
To answer a couple of questions.
I paid $225 for the sign. The back side has a lot of damage, looks like it may have been tossed into the back of a truck. I have about $75 in paint, metal for bracket, electrical in the wall and misc. The neon and new transformer was $200 and $50 to have the frame re-galvanized.

[This message has been edited by Rust Collector (edited 02-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rust Collector (edited 02-06-2003).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#103348 Thu Feb 06 2003 06:59 AM
S
S
Rust Collector

Could you please post a picture. I am always looking for cool ways to display signs. I bet it looks awesome.

#103349 Thu Feb 06 2003 07:03 AM
Online Cool
Here are the images that Rust Collector sent me:

Outstanding sign and an even more outstanding wife!

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#103350 Thu Feb 06 2003 03:35 PM
Thats a great looking sign. I haven't been able to talk my wife into putting one inside.Good thing you didn't let the farmer have three months to jack the price up. You didn't tell us the best part. How much did you have to give for it. I got the same one with one good side for $250 and I thought that was great. Ted

#103351 Thu Feb 06 2003 08:51 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey Ed
Are you going to the Big 3 this month ? Couple of my buddies from LA and I are going to enjoy the nice weather. I should have some pumps for sale there so walk up and say hello.
Larry

larry ivy
#103352 Thu Feb 06 2003 10:11 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Larry (PrimoPetrol),
Yes, I have had a space there for several years, West A15, near the "G2" on light pole.
Don't sell much, it is more of a male bonding thing at this stage. My kids bring a lot of stuff some times.
Hope to see you there. What is your space number?
Ed

#103353 Thu Feb 06 2003 10:21 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
WM25, whatever that means ? See you there, its sure to be fun.
Larry

larry ivy

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved