Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104075 Tue Oct 05 2004 01:52 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Are there any serious service station map collectors out there? If so, what do you do to show off your maps? I just recently ended up with a number of maps from various oil companies. Lookinng at some of the older ones (30'-40's) I was impressed with some of the graphics and the colors, but I don't have any great ideas on how to display them. I know that you can always use the trusty service station map rack, but that sort of limits the number that show. I suppose that if you're trying to preserve the condition, you probably don't want people to handle them much either, but alot of the good graphics only show when they are folded out. Would appreciate some ideas (even if you think the best plan is to sell them on ebay and forget about collecting them cause they aren't worth much.) I figure with all the sign, pump, globe and can hoarders out there, someone has to be a map collector. Here are some examples of the graphics I'd like to show.

I like the Driving Sportsman Quiz

The Poor Man's Petrolania Museum
Solvang, CA
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#104076 Tue Oct 05 2004 04:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Cragg, I not a serious map collector, only have about a dozen maps but I put each one in a frame and hung them on the wall of my office. Sit at my computer and can look at them all the time, graphics are terrific on some of them. Had the same problem you did with wanting to display opened. Some maps have two good sides others have 3. Used different size frames all cheap ones, nothing over six bucks. I don't know how to post pictures but if you want I can email to you, let me know. Everyone comments on how great they look and no one touching and I'm not worrying about damage.

#104077 Tue Oct 05 2004 05:26 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Wads
email the pictures to ccraggfamily@aol.com and I will post them for you. Would like to see them. I did frame up two shell maps in a poster frame fully opened and they look great, but my garage is at a premium for wall space because of my lighted signs so I need smaller frames. I like your idea.

Solvang, CA
#104078 Tue Oct 05 2004 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Curt,
I'll give ya $100 for a GOOD condition SUNSET map. Most GILMORE maps are in the $45-$85 range.

Next time your in the area, let me know.
Dick

#104079 Tue Oct 05 2004 07:04 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Wow Dick.
Didn't know maps would command those kind of prices. My only rare ones are a Wilshire Arizona-New Mexico, A Boron Pennsylvania and a Husky Central Western United States. I think the others are probably more common but in nice condition (Philips 66, Shell, Texaco, Richfiled, Gulf, Union 76, etc).
I'll be down your way on Oct 16th, but you're probably headed to Pomona for the show on the 17th. I am probably going to Pomona too.
I'll swap maps for lighted signs of quarts of oil (need any maps Scott Shipers?)

Solvang, CA
#104080 Tue Oct 05 2004 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great topic...Would love to see how people display their maps as well.

------------------
Scott Shipers
Kansas City, Missouri
WANTED: Sooner Queen

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#104081 Wed Oct 06 2004 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO WHEN MY MAP COLLECTION WAS JUST STARTING TO TAKE OFF(NOW OVER 400!), I WANTED TO DISPLAY SOME OF THE ONES WITH NICE GRAPHICS OVER THE WINDOW IN MY GARAGE. SO I PICKED OUT 8 NICE ONES AND FRAMED THEM SIDE BY SIDE AS THE PICTURE SHOWS. THEY ARE PROTECTED BY GLASS TO KEEP OUT DIRT AND ULTRAVIOLET RAYS.
SEVERAL VISITORS HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS NEAT-O COOOOOOOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
BOTW HOST
COTM CO-HOST
COTM OCTOBER TEXACO HOST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#104082 Wed Oct 06 2004 07:08 AM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I like that idea Doc. Glenn (Wads) sent me some photos of his framed maps to post too. So I'm off to the frame shop today. Appreciate the ideas.

Looks like I'll hang on to the maps unless some of you guys want to trade me some quarts. I'm not that picky about which quarts since I don't have that many.

Solvang, CA
#104083 Wed Oct 06 2004 09:51 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hi,
I collect old auto parts catalogs and the way I display them is color copy them and frame the copies. I them keep the originals put away and if someone wants to see the original I can take it out of my file. The color copies done on the right machine look better than the original and you can copy them side by side and put multiple items in the same frame.
Have fun
Erik (thepepboys)

#104084 Wed Oct 06 2004 08:26 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey Erik, send me a photo of a Pep Boys quart of oil for the can of the month if you have one and I will post it (ccraggfamily@aol.com).

I like the color copy idea alot. I think that I will try and scan them on my scanner and then print them. That will get rid of the thickness of the map and make them easier to frame.
(Then I can still sell the maps on ebay or trade them for quarts and live with the memories.)

Solvang, CA
#104085 Thu Oct 07 2004 02:23 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Another thing I do with maps..is color copy them as mentioned before..then have them laminated with thick laminate..They go great in a binder and you can take them to gas shows to show to people.

#104086 Mon Oct 11 2004 09:34 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
All right guys, I liked all of your ideas so much that I used all of them and then added a new twist. First I took Erik (the pep boys) and speedways ideas and scanned them into my computer so that I could print color copies. I printed the copies on glossy photo paper and put a bunch of them together like Doc did and framed them like Glenn (Wads) suggested. My twist was that I used a lighted sign box from a Miller Beer sign that I had laying around and backlit them. I just finished it tonight and here's what it looks like.

I am going to add another layer of plexi behind the maps to sandwhich them in and then paint the box red (for Texaco).
I collect light up signs so why not some light up maps?
Thanks for your ideas!

Solvang, CA
#104087 Tue Oct 12 2004 04:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Cragg, great idea and it looks terrific. Had a feeling you'd come up with something good. Nice job, you have me thinking!!

#104088 Tue Oct 12 2004 06:01 PM
C
c cragg Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Glenn.
Finished it up today and liked it over my dual purpose book and map rack (actually an old Hallmark Card rack from an estate sale).
Here's the final product!

Got so carried away with the whole idea that I did a couple of others too. This one is for Dick Bennett (Mr. Union 76)

Just finished this one. Used some old clip art for the inserts.

Thanks again to all of you for your ideas and input. It's what makes this site so worthwhile. I would never have come up with this without the combined ideas and input from the gang

[This message has been edited by c cragg (edited 10-12-2004).]

Solvang, CA
#104089 Tue Oct 12 2004 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HEY CURT, COOL IDEA! I'M DEF LIKIN THAT! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING I'D DO IN MY SPARE TIME (YEAH...RIGHT!).
GOTTA LOVE THOSE "76" MINUTEMEN
AND ANY OLD GRAPHICS ON ROADMAPS! THANKS FOR SHARING!
TOOOOOO COOOOOOOL!

DOC @ TAG/WEST
BOTW HOST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved