Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

Tonight is the official start of Globe of the Month. If you did not already know there have been a few minor changes. Aaron and myself are the new hosts and we will be switching to a bi-monthly format. We have been collecting globes and pictures of globes for over 20 years. With everyones help we feel we can keep the post fresh for two months.

The topic for January/February is going to be "your first globe". Obviously this is a topic that anyone with one globe or more can contribute to! One of the things we would like to see is more people involved in the topic. If you no longer have your first globe then post a picture of the globe that you have owned the longest. If possible post a picture of yourself with your globe, that way we can put some faces with the names we see here. Hopefully that part of the feature won't scare to many people off!

If you want you can post a few sentences about what led you to make that first purchase. Every collection out there, no matter how large started with first purchase. Lets have some fun with this!

Thanks for your participation!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My first globe purchase was way back in 1984. I had been collecting Michigan license plates for several years and had also picked up several pump plates that looked good with the license plates. In my search for license plates I met well known pump and globe dealer Walt Feiger from Traverse City, Michigan. Walt always had some pumps and globes for sale along with license plates and I got thinking "How cool would it be to have an old pump with a globe in front of my garage"?

My wife and I also collected general antiques and country store items so we went to antique shops on a regualar basis. One day we were down in central Illinois at a shop and the guy must have had at least 15 globes for sale. Unbelievable to see that many globes for sale in one place back in that day! The one that struck me the most was a Sinclair HC with one lense on a glass body. When I grew up there was a Sinclair station just down the road from my house and I just had to have ithat globe. I paid the significant sum of $80 for it, which was all the money at that time. That one purchase led to another globe purchase a few months later and a third one a year later and I have been collecting ever since! I did eventually get a pump for my garage but since that day globes have been my main focus!

Some of the best friends I have today I have met through the Petroliana hobby. Its been lots of fun and we are looking forward to seeing your globes and hearing your stories!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron

This is Lonnie with the HC globe. Aaron will post a photo of his first globe later.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 01-27-2008).]

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 01-27-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a Picture of me and my first Origianal globe, I have always bought reproduction globes for my Gas Pumps. But I wanted to do one in Imperial Refineries because there was a Imperial Refineries station here in my Hometown of Janesville, Minnesota that still pumped gas until this past June then went out of Business do to a HWY Bypass. The sign you see behind me used to be the stations sign. I got ahold of the guy that owned the station and ask if he would sell it he said sure but I would have to take it down. I told him no problem then he told me he still owned another old station that was shut down and I could have that sign for the same deal as the other one so I ended up with 2 of these on 15' poles they were 2 sided with a porcelain can. I took one apart and hung one side in My Garage and My dad took the other side for his Garage, The other sign is complete and a buddy of mine is going to put the pole and sign up in his yard with a gas station display. So anyway Back to the Globe. I wanted a Pump to match the sign and couldn't locate a reproduction globe for this company so I started to look around, then I found one and Bought it about a Month ago from Lonnie Hop. Since then I have bought 2 other Imperial Refineries globes Ethyl and a No Lead. I allways liked Gas Pumps and Oil Cans but I think I am Getting hooked on Globes now also. Have a good Day Everybody, Jason.

[This message has been edited by Esse's Garage (edited 01-27-2008).]

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My very first globe purchase was actually a threesome. I went to the grand opening of the Brass Armadillo antique mall in 1998 in the Kansas City area and found the Phillips 66 shields $200 for the pair and a Sinclair Dino Supreme for $125. I don't have a picture of me holding the globes but here is a picture of me and my wife Janet.

I agree with you Lonnie, some of my very best friends I have met in the hobby. Part of the fun for me is going to the shows is to chat with the guys I have met through this website or at the shows including your son Aaron.

------------------
Scott Shipers
www.myspace.com/quartcans

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Online Cool
My first gas pump had a colorful Skelly ad glass on it. It came from a Catholic Convent farm here in Missouri. I get a kick out of picturing nuns filling up the tractor with it. Anyway, I saw a Skelly globe with the same design for sale at the Shell Wood River Refinery History Museum swap meet years ago. I had to have it to match that ad glass, right?

My plans to restore the pump haven't materialized yet, but I enjoy seeing it every time I go in or out of the driveway.

Come on and take those pictures with your globes. Let's see 'em and hear your stories.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my first globe was this gold crown.got it at my 1st columbia mi show a few years back.started out just wanting 1 gaspump.now i
have over 20 globes. steven likes it too!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first globe was a 3fer.I traded a bunch of beer knob tap handles for these 3 globes:

Single lens on glass body

NOS lenses on repro capco

Lenses on original capco

Unfortunately I do not have any of the globes anymore
I wish I still did but when I got these I was more interested in cash than globes, my how times change now I want the globes back!I have since gotten another HC globe but No pemco or Kanotex maybe someday I will.

Here's the first globes I bought & still own & will never sell.The socony was technically first.I aquired it from Rex thru his auction.

Got Socony???

Tom
C
C
Norwalk

John

[This message has been edited by Watchdog1 (edited 01-28-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had to think which one was my first. I had to go and look it up and i was this Skychief. It is N.O.S. and i bought it to display on my shelf. Few years back i decided to sell the repop globe and disply it on my pump. I ended up buying another single lens and a Texaco also from the same guy a few days later.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I got interested in globes after I discovered Old Gas. I went to the site to learn how to restore a Tok 300 that came with my property. I wound up buying Jack's book and the Benjamin books because I thought some of the globes I saw were works of art. I am convinced they are a real piece of Americana art that should be preserved.
I studied the prices on ebay, here and other auctions and bought this White Flash globe because I could afford it and I liked it. This was about a year ago and I have bought one other globe. I look everyday for my next one. I would have a awesome collection if only I was a Rockefeller!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
about 12 years ago I recieved a call from a guy who "had heard" that I collected GULF, he would not tell me who told him, he said he had 2 lenses that said Gulf Marine White, I told him I was interested, He said he was in NEW YORK and I would have to come pick them up, he wanted $450.00. I thought about it for a couple weeks and called him back to see if he would take less, NO WAY he said. I decided to bite the bullet and make the trip to buy the 2 lenses. After a 3 hour ride I arrived and immediatly saw 2 COMPLETE MARINE WHITE GLOBES, I asked about the 2nd one and he replied I TOLD YOU I HAD 2 LENSES, (his 2 lenses was actually 2 complete NOS globes), Yes the price was still $450.00 for the 2 globes, Sadly they are both gone, I immediatly sold one for the $450.00, the 2nd went around 8 years ago when I sold my entire GULF collection to Rich Gannon, at the time the quarterback for the Oakland Raiders. Now I do not own a single globe, Just tons of signs and 18 pumps

edited to add picture

[This message has been edited by KZ1000 (edited 01-28-2008).]

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I KNOW SOME OF YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS STORY, BUT IN A NUTSHELL FOR THE NEW GUYS AND GALS:

A FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME ABOUT HIS UNCLE HAVING AN OLD GAS GLOBE ABOUT 4 YEARS BEFORE I ACTUALLY PURCHASED IT. I HOOKED UP WITH HIS UNCLE UP THE ROAD FROM ME AND RAY (THE UNCLE) SHOWED ME THIS REALLY NICE GLOBE AT WHICH TIME I KNEW OF NO VALUE. HE KEPT SAYING THROW SOMETHING AT ME SINCE I PAID ONLY $2 FOR IT WAY BACK IN 1971! I THINK I OFFERED A COUPLE HUNDRED FOR IT BUT HE DIDN'T SEEM TOO MOVED. I KEPT BUMPING INTO THE GUY IN TOWN FROM TIME TO TIME AND KEPT BRINGING UP THE GLOBE SUBJECT AND ADDING TEN OR TWENTY DOLLARS TO MY OFFER, BUT GOT NOWHERE REALLY. THEN AROUND THE TIME THAT I BOUGHT THE GLOBE FROM HIM (OR JUST BEFORE), I OFFERED A GOOD SOLID PRICE WHICH RAISED HIS BROW!
I LOOKED AT IT AGAIN, WE SETTLED ON THE PRICE THAT I OFFERED AND GAVE A SHAKE OF HANDS. THIS WOULD BE MY FIRST GLOBE:

RAY ALSO TOLD ME THAT IT CAME FROM A LOCAL STATION/REPAIR SHOP A TOWN OVER THAT WAS BOUGHT UP IN THE LATE 40'S AND CONVERTED INTO A ROADSIDE EATERY WHICH TO THIS DAY HAS GROWN AND IS STILL IN BUSINESS! THE OWNERS OF THE MODERN SNACK BAR STILL HAVE ONE OF THE 6' D/S PORC SIGNS LOCATED IN THE FAMILIES BASEMENT GAMEROOM!

~DOC

(Edited for leaving complete words out!)

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 01-28-2008).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I'm not sure this is the first but it's the one I still have that I have owned the longest. I bought this globe along with a Kanotex on glass from an antique mall in Albuquerque, NM in about 1988. I think I paid about $175-$200 for each one.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a picture of my first globe, a Sinclair Dino Supreme. I believe it was used on pumps from about 1962 to 1970. I got it at Iowa Gas a few years ago from a father and his son that had a nice display of globes for sale. I was just starting to collect Sinclair signs and was having trouble forking over the money for the stuff as I was not a rich GI. My dad and brother both have several nice globes and I liked the way the looked lit up. So I picked out the one I wanted and Lonnie even cut me a break on the price and I had my first globe. I also split a Sinclair Power X globe with my brother on that trip, I got the body and one lens, he got the second lens to complete a globe he already had. I now have about 10 original globes and one repo Sinclair aircraft globe that came with a pump I bought and one fantasy Corvette globe. I still like metal signs as I am afraid I will Jarvis something made of glass some day.

[This message has been edited by Wes Maxwell (edited 01-28-2008).]

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is my first globe I got 20 years ago. The lenses were sitting in a box at an antique mall and marked $30.00 for the pair. I had to think about that one. I knew about Hy-Flash gas stations because I used to stop at them in the early seventies. After I bought the pair, I put them away because I did not have a body for them. Ten years later I found a body for them and decided to mount them in. That started my interest in Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil from Toledo, Ohio. I have finding old pictures of stations and been working on finding the locations of them. If anybody has any pictures of Hy-Flash/Miller Oil stations in Ohio and Michigan' Let me know maybe I could get a copy of them. I’m also working on a small history of the company.

My second was Hi-Speed Gas....next time. I think I like the letter H or something!!!

Randy

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved