Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#114773 Sun Oct 26 2008 04:12 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Just bought this Chevrolet Genuine Parts sign on ebay #260304099697 , any thoughts on it? have any similar ones been seen before?
Thanks for any help.

------------------
WANTED
Washington Chief, Oregon Chief, Idaho Chief, Montana Chief, Wasatch, Sunset, Veltex, Chevrolet

WANTED
Washington Chief, Oregon Chief, Idaho Chief, Montana Chief, Wasatch, Sunset, Veltex, Chevrolet
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shouldn't you ask this question before you Buy??? It Looks OK to me, but I never Look a Chevy Signs. It is Against My Religion!! LOL!!!

------------------
Jason @ Esse's Garage.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would have stayed far away from that one.
Repo

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
W
OP Offline
W
Seller guarantees sign to be original, if it is not the real deal, I can back out of the sale.
russj it appears you have knowledge of this sign, what can you tell me about it?
Any help would be appreciated.

WANTED
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Russ, please do share why you believe this sign is a repro. I have passed on more than one sign because I didn't have an idea of originality. I always look for a reg trademark on signs, but I don't know if they all had trademark markers. Licensed by signs, I know enough to stay away from. Any help would be appreciated by me.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This sigh is 100% fake, stay away. Two simular signs turned up at Hershey a few weeks ago. The seller that had those two signs is known for passing of fakes as real. There is also a rectangle version of that sign that is being faked. They all have the same patina and damage. Keith

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't know much about signs but I see some problems with it.

The chipping looks new and the aging looks artificial.
The colors appear to be wrong for an "early" sign.
The back doesn't look right.
I've never seen that sign in the wild or for sale by a reputable dealer.
If it was an original the selling price would have been MUCH higher.

Good luck on getting your money back. Best to ask questions before you buy.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks very similar to the garbage ford ovals that are popping up everywhere????

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob hit it on alot of points,
Colbolt blue is wrong color,
Bowtie corners cutoff (GM would approve that?)
Looks like yellow has more of a pitted porcelain like all the oversea ones and the blue has inconsistant coloring and major orange peel look in blue,
Wrong font on lettering,
Back is dead giveaway with the porelain the way it is flowing over along with color of back.
Post before buying and maybe someone on here can help determine if real or not to save the hassles. I know we all want to sneak out a killer deal but if in doubt make some phone calls or post before buying.
Hope the auction works in your favor buy not having to follow thru. let us know

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just wanted to add this style sign has been on ebay before, I am not sure this exact one but one like it so beware.

R
R
Here is the problem. He bid $600+ for it because he wanted it and liked it. Because no one else on this site wants it or likes it, he is unhappy. Sounds like a few other post that start out "Did I buy another repo???" Bid on something because you want it and like it, not because other people on this site want it or like it. I have many items that many of you would not like or want, but to me, I love them. I am sure many of you have things that you paid good money for that I would not enjoy having. Because I do not like what you have, is no indication that you should return it, back out of a bid, or whatever. If you have or had questions about something that requires the expert opinion, ask before you bid and win.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I've seen this and the Ford oval sign a couple times this year. Although interesting, they just did not look right. The blue was very heavy and gloppy looking making for some deep orange peel. Along with the bowtie being run off the edges, these flaws are something GM or Chevrolet never would have approved of or paid for.
I remember the script on the Ford sign looked somewhat squashed and also suspect.
A story related to these was that they were found in a pile somewhere as production rejects and "rescued". But a story like that would have to have some sort of documented proof.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
W
OP Offline
W
UPDATE...Seller has been very good to work with, and is in fact quite concerned about his ebay reputation. He believes sign is real because of whom he bought it from, but quickly cancelled the auction with me until he could confirm one way or the other the history of the sign. I believe that he has no intent of passing off what may be a phony sign as real.
I have quite a few signs in my collection, none of which are repos, but after bidding on this sign had a funny feeling in my gut and that was the reason for the initial posting and questioning of the sign.
Thanks to Ralph White for his help and to the rest of you for your help.
Rick Brown, I am still scratching my head as to what your ranting and raving had to do with my question of originality.
Thanks
Todd

------------------
WANTED

WANTED
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As the originator of several "Did I buy another repo" post I feel compelled to respond. I, like Washington Chief am a collector. I can be rather aggressive in pursuing online items. I have no problem buying a "buy it now" sign with dubious heritage on the outside chance I got something great. By posting here before the buy you show your hand to other equally aggressive collectors. You then take the chance that the item will be bought before someone post a definitive answer. I myself don't care if anyone likes what I buy if it is original.I do care if it is not. That's what makes this a great site. I can roll the dice and find out here if I crapped out. If it's a repo sold as original I contact the seller and try to work it out just as W.C. did. W.C. used this site and post to gain knowledge about a petro\auto item he purchased. Rick Brown used it to try and pass judgement on W.C.'s motive and make a snide comment about my past post. Oh well,
you can't please everyone so sometimes you just have to please yourself.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe you should do your research, then do it again, as the old slogan goes, BUYER BEWARE...UNLESS the seller was dishonest which could be representing it as an original & old, schill bidding, etc.....i will not buy recklessly & if i do i will honor the deal, UNLESS the seller was dishonest........Thre are many instances where the seller does not know what they are selling good or bad, so you had better know what you are buying.......somebody once said here, if you got a deal on a sleeper item, would you pay the seller extra ?? I doubt to many people would, however there are a few who would..............

------------------
http://www.roadrelics.com

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 11-01-2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved