Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#115306 Sat Dec 02 2006 09:08 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
What condition grade is this sign in the U.S.? Australian grading must be a bit different! http://cgi.ebay.com/MOBIL-Mobilgas-Speci...1QQcmdZViewItem

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW If thats very good I'd sure like to see his idea of what bad is!

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With some wear and tear-????

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
P
P
Things on that side of the globe always seem bass ackwords......it's winter up here when it's summer down there.......so it's sorta logical that "very good" down there equates to "worthless piece of scrap metal" up here. Just a theory!!

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I get a kick out of some descriptions of damage such as "adds charm" "does not take away from" "classic bend", etc. Perhaps this is some type of "normal wear".

[This message has been edited by archer2 (edited 12-03-2006).]

Ed
P
P
"...good condition for a very old sign"

The classic 'red flag' phrase.

If it's mentioned anywhere in an auction, I deem it as suspect.

phmlpn
Online Cool
I won a Bardahl oil can rack on eBay. Took almost a month after Paypal payment to get it. But when I got it, I couldn't believe it was the same item.

Here's the sign in the auction photo:

Here's the sign I got:

It was packed well with the sign removed from the frame and wrapped in cardboard. The auction description says, "near mint... some minor scuffing." I got it for a good price, but I still feel very disappointed. The seller said in response, "It was an unused rack but I did mention it had some scratches."

Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200039357074

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Theres no way thats the same sign unless the seller photoshopped the picture.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jim,
Clearly misrepresented, that's more than just some scratches.
I hope you are still negotiating? Half price or free shipping...something.

Good luck Jim.
Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Two sided sign and he failed to show you the back side or mention that both sides were not close in condition.

Bill Fortune
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Looks like the sellers name- Icky Vicky fits!

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
the 1st sign does not have all the white on the edges ...

CLEARLY NOT the same sign, even if photoshopped

------------------
Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ

[This message has been edited by al8apex (edited 12-03-2006).]

Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Jim,

If you used PayPal, they will allow you to file a "Significantly Not as Described dispute" to assist. I'm in the middle of one of those right now myself. Good luck

Ed

Ed
Online Cool
I contacted the seller with a request to refund the shipping fee as compensation for the difference between the represented condition and the actual received condition.
Here is the response to me from eBay seller 123gone ...

"Evenin, I don't believe this sign you are flaunting on that website is the sign that I shipped. I don't know what you are trying to do, but I detect a strong fishy smell here. I went to the FedEx website to find out when this rack was delivered...low and behold there is NO record of this item being delivered to your address. I then contacted FedEx via phone, and they had no record of a delivery from my address to yours. The only thing FedEx had a record of being delivered to your address was from the company LL Bean. I did ship out the rack, so I am not sure what to make of this ....but it just don't quite smell right to me. Although I state in my auctions there are no refunds, I'm going to make an exception in this case. I request you ship the sign back to me, and I'll refund your Pay Pal account. Then, let's agreee not to do business with each other in the future."

Now I'm the guy doing something fishy. It's my fault he can't find a record of delivery from Fedex. After this experience, I doubt I can trust him enough to send back the rack and sign and hope for a refund.
The sign I show in the photo definitely is the sign that was sent from 123gone with the rack in the condition received.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you paid with PayPal, you might be able to get ALL of your money back...I had a problem with another clown on ebay who sold me a sign...after I had paid, I got an e-mail from the seller, wherein he claimed to have chipped the sign while cleaning it (now why he's cleaning a sign AFTER I won it I have no idea) but he says he's sorry and if I still want the sign he'll knock $50 off...that was fine with me and I agreed...then he waits a week to send the sign out, when it finally gets here - NO REFUND...I e-mail him to tell him I am happy with the sign but he forgot to enclose the refund and I'd rather not leave feedback until I get the refund...he says, no problem, he forgot, he'll send it right out...

...of course, you know he didn't and after several e-mails back and forth (during which I began to doubt the sanity of the seller, given his complaints that he didn't have enough juice money for his kids, and that the sign was worth what I paid, etc, etc), I decided to register a complaint with PayPal...they froze the funds in the seller's PayPal account (he was quite happy about that )...the people at PayPal were very helpful, and even suggested that the seller would probably settle, as it was quite possible that I'd win the dispute and he'd lose ALL of the payment for the sign...

...sure enough, in two days I had my refund!

[This message has been edited by gulfiend! (edited 12-05-2006).]

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved