Next Thread
Print Thread
#10525 Wed Oct 17 2007 02:33 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I have some cans of NOS Texaco outboard motor oil from the 1970's. printed on can: 50:1 ratio, SAE 40 wt. diluted to 20 wt. What does this mean? There is no mixing chart on can. I'm trying to figure out how to come up with a mix which is 40:1 to use in my chaninsaw. I want to mix up a batch for 1 gallon. I'm confused with all of the numbers! Never was real good at math. Sam

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Do a google.com search for oil/gas mixture ratios. To late in the night to explain, but I myself wouldn't use oil from the 70's ???

T

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
get on the "outboard" thread and check out page 2 for the quaker state mix sign.. its readable.. hope this helps.. but like said before.. i wouldn't use oil from the 70's..

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I wouldn't put 35+ year old oil in anything, my chainsaw is worth more than the savings on a can of oil. Display the cans, buy some new oil that was made for your saw.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
S
Here's the technical reason for not using that old outboard motor oil in your chain saw. I cobbled this together from a couple of tech papers on American Petroleum Institute procedures.
It's because of the difference in the additives required for the two applications - a water-cooled outboard, and an air-cooled chain saw.
In general, water-cooled 2 stroke/cycle engines require an oil certified TCW3 grade. Air-cooled engines require API-TC cerified oil.

The two types of detergents/dispersants most commonly used in 2-stoke oil formations are Ashless and Low Ash. Ashless detergents are used in low temperature applications such as TCW3 oils where the ring land temperature is held below 300 deg/f. These detergents work well in engines where an excess of cooling capacity is available and power valves are not used. The NMMA TCW3 standard was designed by the various manufacturers of outboard motors (Mercury, OMC, Yamaha etc.). These manufacturers do not utilize power valves, limit their max rpms to about 6800 and have excessive cooling capacity. They also must be able to operate at lower rpms for long periods of time without oil fouling the spark plugs.
The API API-TC standard was developed for Air-cooled, high rpm, high output 2-stroke engines, operating under severe load conditions (such as an air-cooled engine in a chain saw).
It is important to note that oil designed to meet TCW3 specs (Ashless, outboard) will not protect an engine requiring API-TC (Low Ash, air cooled) type oil. The converse is also true. Using a Low Ash oil in an engine designed for an Ashless type oil only could result in fouled plugs and gummy combustion chambers.

[This message has been edited by silent chief (edited 10-19-2007).]

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I'll not use the old oil. But I still don't understand how oil can go bad in a sealed can. Also thanks, Silentchief, for the time to explain the difference in the oils. This was very informitive for me. I just assumed that all outboard & 2 cycle oils could be interchanged. Glad to have you guys on board!

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
You might consider using it as chain lube in your saw, or mixing it with your chain lube to "use it up". I've been using the old motor oil from the cans I've bought as chain lube.

Ed
S
S
"Going bad" in the can may be a bit of an overstatement. Old stored oil just may not perform as intended when originally made.

The enemy of oil in storage (and the chemical additives in it) is oxidation. Oil in contact with air will oxidize over time, forming compounds that may be detrimental to the performance of the oil. Even in a sealed can, there's a little bit of "headspace," to allow for expansion and contraction, usually filled by air. Oil in contact with air will oxidize.
Time, and heat/cool cycles, make the formation of unintended compounds in the stored oil more likely - chemical reactions never sleep... and the additives may simply break down and become less effective.

In my case, I like low maintenance - so I use fresh, high-quality lubricants and fuels. Cheapest insurance against premature failure I can buy.

Always looking for Texaco Canada, Supertest, White Rose, McColl Frontenac, and Miller Oil Co. info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved